backset extension

Old 01-28-11, 05:22 PM
backset extension

I have a new Schlage AL Series "classroom" lockset that was ordered for a door bored with a 5" backset, so the lockset came with a 5" backset extension. When it's together with the latch it looks like this: http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1488.jpg
When I install the latch in the latch bore with this extension, I'm finding that the barrel of this extension extends too long into the doorknob hole, maybe about 1/2" too long, preventing ability to install the lockset. I'm totally baffled about this, as the backset measurement, as measured from the center of the doorknob hole to the edge of the door, is 5", but with this extension it just is too long? Comments?? Something is obviously wrong...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-11, 08:20 PM
Assuming the crossbore hole measures 2-1/8" Dia., if the lockset came with both latch and extension, whoever packaged it, mistakenly included a 2-3/4" BS latch
(as seen in the pic).

Have whoever you obtained the lockset from, to substitute a 2-3/8" BS latch, and this should be close enuf (1/8") to work. The AL series usually comes standard with 2-3/4" BS, but 2-3/8" BS is avail. and often spec'd instead. They should know that when the uncommon 5" BS is spec'd, a 2-3/8" latch is used with the extension.

Old 01-29-11, 08:27 AM
Yes the lockset came with both a latch and extension. Thanks rstripe for the explanation that there is the shorter 2-3/8" BS latch which should be used. I'll have to get back to the company from which I ordered the lockset and see about making the substitution for the longer latch they sent. Your expertise here is much appreciated; thanks again!