Lockset nightmare

Old 02-19-11, 08:14 AM
Lockset nightmare

Bottom handle
--------------
Trying to take off the existing handle. Popped off the cover plate on the inside (it doesn't exit the 90 degree angle of the handle but no big deal) and took out the two screws.
Trying to pull the handle out, no joy. Trying to move/pry off the (not the handle itself) but the circular piece that mounts adjacent to the door. It turns about 3/16" in either direction but doesn't come out

Deadbolt
---------
Installed the kwikset deadbolt and two problems:
1. The inside lever only works if the key is in the outside lock same outside angle no turning I put the key in, the inside lever works, I remove the key, can't turn the inside lever?!?

2. I cannot take the key out when the bolt is retracted so ... what happens when I come inside? I either leave the deadbolt in the extended position or leave the key in the lock outside

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-11, 03:45 PM
Assume the bottom handle is Kwikset? Most levers of recent vintage should, once you've popped loose the inner decorative cover, reveal an arrow somewhere around the circumference of the round plate, I think indicating CCW, the idea being to tap with screwdriver & small mallet to rotate the plate about 1/2" at which point the inner lever comes loose.

The deadbolt problem sounds like the classic "out of time" tailpiece....remove the outer cylinder, and with key removed, rotate the tailpiece (the long flat bar) 180 degrees and re-insert thru the bolt cam slot, then fasten the inner thumbturn. (Many years ago, the rule of thumb was to ensure the bolt was thrown before assembling the cylinder & thumbturn, as this would always ensure correct timing.....don't know if that holds true with recent models).

Old 02-20-11, 05:20 PM
jackpot on the deadbolt. basically turn the outer cylinder where the key goes in upside down so the kwikset logo is upside down and you're in business

no joy on the handle. no arrow(s) and no ccw. There are three notches with grooves that increase in size much like an audio volume increase indicator but we're whacking at this in both directions with a hammer and nothing it can be hand-turned about 1/4" but whacking away gives you nothing more than the 1/4" hand turn

Old 02-21-11, 06:58 PM
If you can throw us a photo, it would help...are you sure the lever latch is a Kwikset?
(could the deadbolt & latchset be different brands?)
And which 2 screws have you removed? The latch screws on the door edge?
Are the 3 notches evenly spaced around the circumference of the big round plate that the decorative cover snaps on to? Have you looked for a 1/16" dia. poke hole on the shank of the lever (facing the opposite direction from the lever)?

Old 02-22-11, 10:29 PM
sounds like a commercial grade handleset. You need to unscrew the nut around the shaft, to remove the lock from the door.

A pic will help.

Old 02-23-11, 06:08 AM
There was a small hole that I inserted a paper clip in and that allowed me to pop the handle off

From there it was a matter of unscrewing a ring that was holding the whole thing in place

Thanks for the tips guys