OK for deadbolt hole to go all the way through door frame?

Old 04-23-11, 11:11 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK for deadbolt hole to go all the way through door frame?

One of the deadbolts on my house cannot be fully "thrown" or extended into the door frame hole. This is because the hole in the frame is not quite deep enough to accept the bolt. The hole probably needs to be another 1/8" to 1/4" deep to allow the bolt to snap into it's fully thrown position.

Today I decided to fix this using a chisel, and when I did the chisel punched a hole all the way through the wood. In other words, the wood at the bottom of the hole is not very thick, and making the hole deep enough to accept the bolt is likely to result in a hole all the way through the frame with no wood at the bottom of the hole.

Is this normal? Is it acceptable? Any suggestions on dealing with this issue?

My concern is that the hole might be a place for moisture or pests to enter the wall, or might cause a very minor heating/cooling loss. My thinking right now is to go ahead and deepen the hole, maybe using a Dremel instead of a chisel. Then, if the resulting deadbolt hole is "bottomless", maybe squirting some expanding foam into the wall/door frame to limit the exposed area behind the hole.

Any comments? Thanks.

Old 04-23-11, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 289 Votes on 252 Posts
I think your issue is a non-issue. You went through the door frame but if you poke in deeper you will find the 2x4 framing is still there. This is not a problem because with deadbolts you should install a steel backer plate that the bolt goes into. This is secured to the 2x4 framing using 3" screws. If you were to use just the door frame for your dead bolt to secure to it would only take a light kick to break in. If you do not have a backer plate installed you can get replacement ones at big box stores.
As for the hole, you can put some insulation there or get a dead bolt pocket (the black thing) as shown in the picture below:
http://www.jmlock.com/ProductImages/...0_exploded.jpg

Old 04-23-11, 02:48 PM
M
Thanks Ironhand. You are right... after chiseling deeper, I find that there is a 2x4 behind the door frame. There was probably a few 1/10th of an inch gap between the door frame and 2x4, so I felt the chisel go through the frame but not enough to hit the 2x4.

The deadbolt pocket looks like a nice finishing touch. If I find that I need to cover that hole or make it look nicer, I may pick one up.

Old 04-24-11, 01:55 AM
Interesting. I suggest that possibly the reason for the need to deepen the hole may be because there is not the usual 1/8" gap between door and jamb when the door is closed.

I suggest that the more permanent fix for this situation (if others encounter a similar problem) is to check the top hinge in deeper and replace the screws with 3" screws.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: