Replacing a mortise lock

Old 01-09-01, 02:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Is there any way for a do-it-yourselfer to replace a mortise lock with a regular doorknob/deadbolt combination? I don't want to pay $250 to get a new mortise lock installed!

Old 01-09-01, 10:13 PM
Visiting Guest
There are some companies that make kits for this. I believe Kwikset has one. You probably will have to mount the deadbolt up above, because, if I remember correctly their kit just adapts for a single key in the knob lock. Perhaps check with your local locksmith if you cannot find one at the home improvement or hardware store.

Old 02-27-01, 09:38 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Chocha,
Here's the plan I used and it worked out well. It involved filling the old mortise and then drilling for the new lock sets. Remove all the old hardware. Do not throw the old set away. A locksmith would be more than happy to take it off your hands for the spare parts. Measure the width and hieght of the Mortise. Check to see how well the door was mortised meaning whether it is a perfect width through out the Mortise or if it was drilled with some high spots remaining. Prepare a board as thick as 1/16 (I chissled down a 1 inch board to 7/8...)inch less than the tightest width on the mortise. Cut it 1/8 inch shorter than the hieght of the Moritise and finally cut it (3/16 of an inch less than the depth of the mortise)wide. Insert two screws in the face of the board that will be on the latch side of the door. These are for holding the board when you position it. Fill the mortise cavity with wood epoxy and insert the board so it sets into the door 1/8 inch. After it has dried, remove the positioning screws and fill in the void with two applications of wood putty (use one that can be chisseled). Sand smooth. I was then able to drill out the holes in the face of the door as the new location for the new locks. If not, more wood putty.... Install the new locks according to manufactureres directions. Schlage makes a time saver entry lock whereby you can remove the latch plate on the strike latch assembly and then insert the assembly into the door without any mortising required. You may also have to do some restore work on the jam though a heavy duty plate can cover alot of space.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: