Quiet lock suggestion

Old 12-03-11, 11:04 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Quiet lock suggestion

Hi all

My wife works night shifts. She sleeps during the day and the way it is, I need to go through the m-bedroom where she sleeps, several times a day.

I am trying to be considerate and very quiet, but damn handles make a lot of clunking noise no matter how careful I am. And yes, we do like handles, not knobs.

I am open to suggestions on what locks are VERY quiet? We do not really even need locks in those doors, simply handles with latches. Oh, yeah clunk even louder.

So, very quiet lock with handle?

Thank you.

Old 12-03-11, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Have you tried graphite in the workings of the locksets? It could ease the noise quite a bit. I'm in the same boat as you, but I don't dare use the door unless I have to. I just go to my shop and either work or daydream until it is time to wake her up.

Old 12-03-11, 04:22 PM
it's not really greasing fix. it's general slack in mechanisms. they are simply cheaply, loosely made.
I even tried magnets on the door frame, instead of locks. didn't work out.

Old 12-04-11, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If it weren't for the locking and latching capability, you could install spring hinges and rubber bumpers on the door with a dummy knob set up. Just grabbing at straws. Sometimes manufacturers leave things loose so they won't bind. Thank Kalishnikov for that innovation.

Old 12-04-11, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by chandler
If it weren't for the locking and latching capability, you could install spring hinges and rubber bumpers on the door with a dummy knob set up. Just grabbing at straws. Sometimes manufacturers leave things loose so they won't bind. Thank Kalishnikov for that innovation.
and Kalach turned to be best assault weapon ever. I'll try thick grease, maybe it'll silence them. or get very strong magnets, I have seen ones that are 1/4 by 1 inch, and embed 2 of them into door jam. then put dummy handle on or simply remove latch and leave current handle on. As they are all the same in the house. Uniform look.

Old 12-18-11, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
check out the Serrature Meroni line of locks. Specifically the Pigio range of levers. These are push pull locksets that do not make the same "noises" as other handles.

Old 12-18-11, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by GlobalLocky
check out the Serrature Meroni line of locks. Specifically the Pigio range of levers. These are push pull locksets that do not make the same "noises" as other handles.
cool, thank you!...............

Old 12-18-11, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am the US importer of this brand. I have been selling these across the world, the last couple of years and so far so good. Recently installed 30 of the Combina range to a elementary school and the teachers report back that they are very very quiet operation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: