unlocking locked bathroom lock

Old 12-21-11, 08:03 AM
unlocking locked bathroom lock

ok, I already got upset with it, so the door has now nice crack in it... but the lock still holds.

we have those privacy locks in every bathroom in our house, that look somewhat like this:
New Permanent Bronze YALE Sav. Passage Door Lever Lock on eBay!
locks have push/turn locking button on the inside and a slot button on the outside.
of course, one in my son's shower got "by itself" locked from the inside. of course, he had to find this at 5:30 am when I was going to work, hence me getting mad at the door and cracking it.

anyhow. as of now, I know the lock cover needs to be removed to get to the lock innards. cover plate does have a small notch in it, but there is no spring sticking out and it turns 360 degrees freely. there is a pin in lock handle stud, but it does not press in.
I tried turning outside knob with a screwdriver inserted into the slot, it does not turn.

short of - when I return back home from work - taking a prybar and whacking that cover plate off the lock, how else do I remove it? Other locks in the house, that came from same manufacturer, do have locking spring protruding from a small hole in the plate, and plates do not spin, this one simply spins around without major resistance.

good lock though. took my 275 lb bravely a few times until door started cracking...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-11, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
You can give Yale a call at 800.438.1951 and see if they know a easy way to get it open.

Old 12-21-11, 08:43 AM
yeah, that's a natural way to do, except that we are on west coast, they will need to know exact model number and such, and by the time I get to the lock, they will be closed as it'll be late pm.
I mean, I know how to open the door, if the worse comes to worse, I simply was in a real time crunch in the morning.

Old 12-21-11, 01:22 PM
Lock

Try pushing a thin flat object into the outside slot.

Old 12-21-11, 06:34 PM
try checking on top of the door frame for the release key (it may be on another door). If there is a slot, turn with coin or screwdriver. These are not hard to use a piece of plastic on. You can use an old coke bottle. Cut a piece of plastic roughly the same dimensions as a credit card, perhaps slightly longer. insert the card between door and frame like they used to do in the movies to "card" the lock. To help you with leverage and to make the gap bigger, use a chisel to press the door back a bit to make the slot easier to get your plastic card in.

Old 12-21-11, 09:36 PM
credit card did not work, we tried it. no way to jam it in.
anyhow, the lock turned out to be broken.
the release slot will not turn.
metal cover plate came off easy, it was only clipped to the base.
of course, screws holding lock together had their heads on the INSIDE of the door, of course, so I had to drill screws out.
Basically, I had to cut entire innards of the lock, until I managed to get latch out of the door jam.
lock was not set to "locked" position from the inside. Guess, it just failed.
nice hole in the door now.
thanks to all for input.

Old 12-22-11, 07:33 AM
Group Moderator
I had wondered if this was the case - while I have no specific Yale lock experience, all the rest of the privacy knobs I've ever seen with a twist lock on the inside could be opened with a screwdriver from the outside but you'd already reported that did not work.

Locks do fail - any idea how old it was?

Old 12-22-11, 07:45 AM
Opening a door with a credit card works better if you can remove the stop. That will let you pry the door and jamb enough to get a better access to the latch.

Old 12-22-11, 07:46 AM
as old as the house is. 8 yrs?

this one is one of those locks that has "coin" slot, instead of the small hole, to unlock lock from the outside in need. you supposed to insert a screwdriver into the slot, or a coin, and turn it counterclockwise, to release the lock. that was tried with coin and screwdriver, to no result.
what really pissed me was that whoever installed the lock, had screws installed from the inside. which is - yes, of course, that's the bright "privacy and security" idea, but it's shower room in a house, for pete's sake, and does not help at all when lock fails and you have to dis-assemble it.

Old 12-22-11, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
Opening a door with a credit card works better if you can remove the stop. That will let you pry the door and jamb enough to get a better access to the latch.
what stop?.......................

Old 12-22-11, 07:57 AM
Group Moderator
The door stop - the piece of trim in the door jamb which comes into contact with the door when you close it, runs all the way around the jamb otherwise keeping it from being one flat piece of wood.

Eight years does not seem like enough life - we're replacing the Kwiksets in the office, they started failing at about ten years old and they are a cheap lock.

Old 12-22-11, 09:19 AM
door opens inside. lock stop is hidden by door frame/trim. there is no way to get to it or any part of the latch.
I think, simply because it's a tiny shower room, with a lot of humidity, it got rusted inside or something. I'll install a simple no frills handle now.

Old 12-22-11, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
What you're calling the door frame/trim is the stop to which Wayne was referring.

Old 12-22-11, 09:37 AM
Group Moderator
I had a bugger of a time on one of my rental houses with a keyed entry when the deadlatch failed. I removed the lock and still could not get the latch retracted. Had to pull the door off it's hinges to get the bugger out.

Old 12-22-11, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
We've had good luck so far with deadbolts but we keep a 10" channel lock pliers in the office for tearing apart failed keyed entrance knobs.

Old 12-22-11, 06:12 PM
guys, hinges and lock stop are ON THE INSIDE of that door and door jamb. there's no way to remove any of it. or get to any of it. without ripping the lock out first. all that was outside was handle.

Old 12-22-11, 09:54 PM
This is why as a locksmith I carry air bags (wedges). They work excellently to slide between door and jamb, pump open to reveal latch, then simply slip the card in. Often just the action of pumping the air wedge is enough to push the whole door enough to pop the door open (without loiding).