Changing a bedroom Doorknob

Old 05-24-12, 04:23 AM
Exclamation Changing a bedroom Doorknob

I am wanting to change my old doorknobs with new ones so I can lock my housemates out of my room while I am not home! I don't feel safe leaving things lying around

I went to Bunnings and bought a new doorknob only to get home all excited and eager to get things underway that I find my old knob is not 'normal'. I have read many forums about changing doorknobs and I am still without luck. Everyone seems to think that there is going to be some kind of small hole that I need to insert a pin and to look hard for it..but just how hard should I be looking because I don't have anything like that at all. I have tried twisting both doorknobs thinking maybe they will unlock each other and I have tried prying off the cover that hides the inner workings.

Could someone please help! I have attached a photo of the doorknob thinking it might help.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-12, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
How about rotating the silver trim pieces in opposite directions (counterclockwise)? Only other option I could think of.

Just a side note observation, but if I had to put a lock on my bedroom door because I didn't trust my housemates, I'd be getting new housemates.

Old 05-24-12, 04:41 AM
I have tried twisting the the silver knobs but I'm still not having any luck! There isn't anything to grip onto. My housemates are girls so its not to bad, but we other reasons for changing the knobs too... Grr this is frustrating!

Old 05-24-12, 07:43 AM
Group Moderator
You own the place or are you renting? If the latter, I would contact the landlord.

Old 05-24-12, 08:31 PM
You have Gainsborough passage knobs there. You need to call a locksmith to get those knobs off. There is a trick to it, but it is too difficult to explain here. It is obvious that these knobs were installed by a lazy builder who used a knock in latch (backset) on a wooden door. That is indeed odd and un-Australian.

Old 05-24-12, 08:35 PM
Okay.....I broke down and found the installation instructions for you....

It is a Gainsborough Contractor Porcelain Series passage set.

here is a pdf of the installation instructions....

http://www.gainsboroughhardware.com....PAIT%20052.pdf

Old 05-24-12, 08:45 PM
get a pair of multigrips and put electricians tape around each jaw, then widen out to the width of the rose and use to unscrew the rose from the backplate. i suggest the reason the roses might be hard to remove is becaue they were installed when the paint was still wet.