Looking into getting a deadlock, any advice?

Old 07-19-12, 07:35 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Looking into getting a deadlock, any advice?

I'm thinking of installing a deadlock on my front door and I was wondering how many types of deadlocks are there, are there some types more advantageous than others and anything else about deadlocks you think someone should know before purchasing one.

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 07-19-12, 07:54 AM
Purchasing a deadlock is a good decision, but the suitable choice for your application requires more information. A picture of the door in question would help.

Some of the points to consider include.

* Is the door constructed from wood or steel
* is the door frame steel or wood construction
* is there glass in the door
* Is there glass next to the door (in the frame)
*Are you considering key control as an important factor?
* Is color and brand name important to you?
*are you looking to match a certain decor?
*are you considering life safety codes/building codes?
*is the door in question a double/french door/sliding door?

There are hundreds of brands available, all purporting to offer something better than another. It can be a quagmire to run through.

Where are you located?
There are surface mounted deadlocks, mortise tubular deadbolts, mortise vestibule deadlocks, claw bolt deadbolts, surface mounted deadlatches, mortise tubular deadlatches, surface mounted deadbolts, double cylinder deadbolts, single cylinder deadbolts, half deadbolts, dummy deadbolts, old fashioned bit key deadlocks.

The suitable choice for your application is based on many factors. If you are looking for a brand name recommendation that you can purchase locally, there are Kwikset, Schlage, Baldwin, Weiser, Weslock, Emtek, Master etc.
Most are priced similarly.

A quality professional will require to know more specifics about your application prior to making a recommendation.

Old 07-19-12, 11:16 PM
L
Hello there ;-) Pretty much GlobalLocky covered it all... it pretty much is going to end up on How Much YOU want to SPEND ... When you do Install a Deadbolt on your doors make sure your Insurance Company is notified so they can give you that 5% discount and lower your rate ;-) I like the schlage series myself.. with the keyless access ( you can also use a key with it ) let us know where your mindset is on cost ect and that would help us abit.
craig

Old 07-20-12, 07:10 PM
T
Thanks

So far were thinking of a vertical style deadlock since it has the advantage of being mostly jimmy resistant. We're probably going to go for a single barrel since we live in an apartment and our windows and balcony would be extremely difficult to access from the outside. We aren't concerned too much on brand names (unless there is brand that's dodgy that we need to be aware off). The door we want to install it on is just a normal wooden door. There is no glass or much else in the way of decoration though we would like the dead lock to be silver in colour just to co-ordinate with our current lock and door handle.

Old 07-21-12, 10:42 PM
L
do yourself a favor and go to youtube and type in the word bumpkeys.... now alot of deadbolts can be bumped with the exception of the intelelock by quickset.. but that one has its drawback also and i wouldnt buy or sell one to someone.. those are soooooo easy to get into but the problem is the inside is/was plastic and they break when they are opened a certain way.. i like the keyless schlage, and for the extra security so NO ONE can bumpkey their way into it, i take a key , slide it in half way and break it off and push it to the back.. just keep an eye on your battery, change it twice a year and you should be fine.. Apt's are such a common place for theifs using bump keys cause of the hallways in them.. and you cant tell if they bumped their way into your apt unless they miss their key and hit your deadbolt leaving a mark.. they can also lock it quickley when they leave... the deadbolt im talking about will cost you about 129.00 but its so worth it.. and dont forget to call your ins company to get the discount on your homeowners or renters ins. any questions just send me a PM but open questions should be sent on the boards.. best to ya Craig

Old 07-26-12, 03:30 PM
Ilco make a Jimmy Proof deadbolt that's pretty ugly like this one I just found on ebay.... ILCO SINGLE CYLINDER JIMMY PROOF LOCK 530-53-51 | eBay

It's cheap but pretty strong. The benefit is that it physically connects the door to the jamb/frame. It uses a rim cylinder and the lock is surface mounted (inside). You do need to cut out the door trim (archetrave) for the strike plate.

There are other brands that are much better quality but also much more expensive....like the Australian Lockwood 305/355 or the Abloy superstopper. yale used to make a version but I believe it is discontinued.

Old 07-26-12, 08:18 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Teoni, you indicate being "non-US" and having lived overseas I know these types of locks are still very popular in other countries, & for good reason: a well-made vertical-bolt lock, correctly installed, with a high-security rim cylinder is hard to beat for the money.

The "key" (no pun intended) is that to a greater degree than with the common tubular deadbolt locks, high quality and careful installation is important. Buying the cheap pot-metal version of this lock and/or careless installation (often, better fasteners are required) will result in a false sense of security.

As mentioned, due to this design requiring the common standardized "Rim" cylinder, a variety of high-security replacement cylinders are available if the model you find uses a common pin-tumbler cylinder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: