Schlage Deadbolt+

Old 06-24-12, 07:45 PM
Schlage Deadbolt+

I have a Schlage deadbolt that recently started becoming difficult to use. What I mean by that is that when the key is put in it no longer turns. The key needs to be pulled out about 1mm before it will turn. Is this something that I can fix?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-12, 08:08 AM
Group Moderator
Is the key going in further than it used to?

Old 06-25-12, 05:21 PM
Not that I can tell. I didn't pay attention as to how far it went in when it was new and working. I think the key went in all the way to the shoulder when it worked, but now it needs to be out about 1mm before it wants to turn

Old 06-26-12, 01:22 AM
Is your keyring holding many keys? Sometimes the weight of too many keys on a ring can cause a key to wear faster than normal. Also some people tend to push down on the key when turning (subconciously), which also contributes to faster wear. It is possible that both the cylinder and key are worn too.
If it is the Schlage Securekey product (has a + sign above the keyhole), it could be that the little plunger inside the barrel, has shifted and jammed.

Old 06-26-12, 02:06 PM
I don't have many keys. All the keys we have for the lock are having the same issue. Yes it is a Securekey + sign. How do I go about fixing the plunger?

Old 06-26-12, 05:39 PM
You cannot fix it. It must be replaced. The securekey was removed from the market for two reasons. 1. It just fails too quickly and cannot be repaired. When it fails it requires destruction to get it open.
2. Infringes the Kwikset Smartkey Patent.

Old 07-09-12, 07:24 PM
it sounds like its a copy of a copy of a copy of the key... it can be fixed with a simple rekey, even to the same key you have, if your using grafite in your locks.. stop.. just use a teflon spray or even WD40.. take the cyl out to your local locksmith , he can fix that small problem for you

Old 07-26-12, 03:40 PM
Contrary to the last posters comments.....never use WD40 in a lock cylinder....you will cause more problems than you realize. WD40 was specifically invented to dry out the points on wet motors. WD stands for water displacement and 40 is the number of the formula that actually achieved what was intended. Whilst true that it does TEMPORARILY lubricate metal parts.....when it dries out (and it will dry out) it gums up....attracts dirt and causes more problems.

The locksmith industry have known and used the benefits of powdered graphite for a great many years. You can see the new benefits of graphite today by all the scientific research being conducted that shows it's numerous other qualities.

The only issue with using powdered graphite is that it is a dirty powder....meaning it blackens anything it touches (including carpet).

Definitely use a Teflon based or Silicone based lubricant on any metal parts.

But realistically, do yourself a huge favor and file the Schlage Securekey lkocks in the round file cabinet with the sign on it that says "Trash"

Old 07-26-12, 07:48 PM
With the assumption that OP is describing the original (not duplicate) keys, becoming this way over time & much use, & lubricant did not improve operation,
take the best-operating key to an experienced locksmith, describe the problem & ask if he can duplicate it by "shimming it up" on the machine so the duplicated key will be about 10/1000" higher to compensate for wear.

If the problem keys are duplicates themselves, obtain a new set of factory-cut keys (your smithy will give you a set, we accumulate them by the hundreds)
& re-key per the instructions for your lock.

Don't be too surprised if the lock jams up & quits working altogether....these
locks were designed to be both pick-resistant & user re-keyable, but at the expense of reliable & durable operation, in most smithys' opinion, as compared to a standard pin-tumbler cylinder.