Schlage deadbolt removal

Old 10-07-12, 12:00 PM
Schlage deadbolt removal

Im going to tag onto this thread because I am looking at the same problem. There are no visible screws or plugs to cover them (the other door was that way). This is a photo of the inside of the door which is exactly the same as the outside. No visible screws at all. I tried removing the bolt plate to see if there was something underneath but removing the screws did nothing. The bolt section does nothing. As you can see, the collar around the lock section is a separate piece, the same on both sides, but they do not turn (as far as I can get but I havent tried pliers or anything. I dont want to mar the thing if its not designed to turn. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-12, 11:08 PM
the face on the inside, pops off. Small blade screwdriver under the face (at the bottom) reveals two philips screws

Old 10-07-12, 11:14 PM
BTW.....a double cylinder lock on a primary entry door is considered illegal in most jurisdictions. If there is a fire, how do you get out?

The law doesnt care about your security, just whether you are being negligent or not.

If there happened to be a fire in your property and occupants couldnt escape easily from that door, you can be charged with negligent homicide (if someone were to die as a consequence).

Aside from the fact that your insurance will be void. Insurance companies will look for even the smallest mundane reason to not have to pay out on a claim. If you do not abide by the building code, why would they have to pay your claim?

Is it worth it for the cost of a $40.00 deadbolt?

If you are trying to increase security because of a glass panel, consider applying window security film to the inside glass. Then the window cannot be broken easily and you comply with the law, building code, insurance rules and life safety codes.

Old 04-14-13, 11:02 AM
I have an 18 year old schlage dead bolt keyed both sides. I cannot find a way to remove it. Went to a schlage dealer with no help. Has a ring on both side that will not come off. No screws etc.

Old 04-18-13, 02:25 PM
got a pic we can see?
the explanation above is correct

Old 04-18-13, 06:47 PM
The old Schlage double cylinder deadbolts fastened with a tie screw from each side, obviously not the case here. As Global said, the inner face pops off. I think there's a small recess at the 6 o'clock position where you can use a very small screwdriver to pry the cap off, exposing the tie screws.