Please help me indentify this product or learn the lingo...

Old 11-20-12, 12:45 AM
Please help me indentify this product or learn the lingo...

Please take a look at this picture and tell me what's the lingo for the brass plate that's forming around the deadbolt and door knob. Is it called a door plate or something? I have the same electric deadbolt as this person, but I don't see this plate with this cut out as an accessory at Schlage and I'm wondering is that something that's custom made? Or, is my eyes deceiving me? Is that one big rectangle piece with holes in them, and the deadbolts and knobs are simply placed on top of it? In any case, what is this item called? I'm using all sorts combination words like door plate, handle plate, deadbolt plate, etc.. and I can't seem to find anything like it, so I'm probably way off on the lingo.

Thank you for your time!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-12, 02:19 AM
Home depot has this listed as a "door reinforcer", which makes sense as that's what it does'

Door Reinforcer, 2-3/4 in. Backset x 1-3/4 in. Thick, Brass Finish, Non-recessed-U 9977 at The Home Depot

Old 11-20-12, 04:50 AM
Thank you! Learning something new every day. LOL! Well I'm realizing that one annoying aspect of retailers who sell these reinforcers is that most of them, including home depot, don't list the most vital measurement.. the center to center measurement!! How can you not list that measurement? I measured mine to be 5-1/2 inch center to center. I've searched ebay and amazon and I see some list 3-5/8 center to center. So there are a few common sizes out there.

Old 11-21-12, 04:56 PM
The locksmith trade calls them "wrap-around plates" or "install-a-Lock"
plates (real original, huh?)....one of the best selections for the US market
is the Don-Jo company. While you may find what you need at the Big Box,
(since they cater mostly to the residential door measurements), Don-Jo will have an extensive selection, and a number of architectural finishes.