Deadbolt works but the key won't

Old 12-14-12, 02:54 PM
Question Deadbolt works but the key won't

I just bought and installed a Schlage P-series deadbolt. Installed it and the deadbolt works just fine. My issues is that the key just turns and does not engage. What did I miss?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-12, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Did you engage the rod in both halves of the lockset, including the key side? You may have to take it apart again and just look at how it is supposed to work, and see if something needs adjustment.

Old 12-16-12, 07:48 PM
P series? not familiar with it...must be new. Most Schlage deadbolts use a threaded cap on the back end of the keyway plug, that is held fast with a spring-loaded pin. When the key is turned, this pin engages the linkage that operates the bolt. If the pin and/or pin spring is missing, the key will just turn round & round to no effect. It is not likely these parts would be missing from a brand new lock, however.

Some of the newer designs use a crank-like arm to engage the bolt, and if the door is much more than 1.75" thick, or if a spacer ring, designed for use on thin doors was used, the crank may not reach the bolt assembly.

Try removing the inner assembly & holding the outer assembly in place with your hand, so you can observe the operation thru the hole in the door.