Problm with a Maxtech entry door lock

Old 01-04-13, 01:25 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problm with a Maxtech entry door lock

I have a residential entry door Maxtech dead bolt lock and a Maxtech Knob style door knob lock below it. The deadbolt lock works fine but the door knob lock with a button is below it locks but the knob on it turns from the outside or inside do not retract from either side with or without using the key. The button on the inside is designed to turn to the right and keep it locked all the time and will keep the outside knob from turning from the outside which it will do but either way the but the lock still does not retract from either side. My problem is that the screws are behind the trim plate which is behind the knob o tne inside of the door and I can't get the knob off. Is there a special thing I need to do to get this knob and trim plate off I have worked on alot of changes in the lockset in my homes most of them have been Quickset locks in the past. This Maxtech lock was installed last year bduring an emergency by a locksmith so I don't have the details on ther lockset nor the phone number of the Locksmith. Please help me.
Thank you for your help it will be appreciated,
Peppar

Last edited by peppar; 01-04-13 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-04-13, 05:29 PM
R
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
If the latch does not retract when you turn either knob, it has not been installed correctly, or it is broken. I think this is a Grade 2 lock, which typically is taken apart by using a poke tool (such as a paper clip, ice pick, etc) inserted into a small hole in the inner spindle, to depress the knob retainer, while pulling out on the knob. The rose trim can then be pried off (some designs require a slight unscrewing motion), to reveal the screws.

The poke hole is usually located in line with the latch, ie., facing the edge of the door. Ocassionally, the poke hole will be located 45 degrees up or down on the spindle, which requires you to turn the knob accordingly to line up the retainer.

Old 01-06-13, 04:12 PM
P
Thank you I will give it a try tommorow.
Peppar

Old 01-12-13, 09:56 PM
Maxtech products are garbage (in my opinion). the handle or knob often does not locate correctly and will just spin on the shaft. This lock needs to be filed in the round file cabinet known as your trash can.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: