Door Knob Bolt/Latch Stuck

Old 01-09-13, 09:56 AM
Question Door Knob Bolt/Latch Stuck

Okay, this door knob bolt/latch thing a ma jig is stuck. It is stuck in french doors that lead outside. Has been stuck for 2 days!!! I cannot get it out, please, any suggestions?Name:  Bolt.jpg
Views: 2855
Size:  20.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-13, 10:00 AM
The French Doors are Closed

I forgot to mention the doors are closed.

Old 01-09-13, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
I would probably try and drill a 1/8" hole though the little bit of the latch mechanism that is sticking out to the far right, so that you can insert a nail through the hole and have something to pull on. Once you can pull that mechanism to the right, the latch should open.

Unless I'm not seeing it correctly.

Old 01-09-13, 06:20 PM
Good pic! A medium-small flat blade screwdriver may be all you need to unlock the door. You can see at the end of the latch tube,an upper & lower flange that have been bent inward, to the extent that they are blocking the ability of the latch to be retracted. You need to bend them back outward, away from the "T" shaped rod coming out of the tube. (there may be two t-shaped pieces back to back). Once the flanges are out of the way, the t-rod, which is connected to the latch, can be retracted. Sometimes a pair of small screwdrivers prying in unison will give better results.

As your pic clearly shows, this condition is the result of improper installation, a mis-match between the lock size & the hole size. I would advise against trying to re-assemble the lock, as the parts are now more likely to malfunction, even if you get it to working again.

Get a new lockset with adjustable backset (most residential locks are adjustable nowadays) and set it to most closely match your doors' backset; 2-3/8" or 2-3/4" from door edge to hole centerline. Since your door's hole appears to be oversized, the new lock should be installed tightly, and not be allowed to loosen with use, or the same problem may result.

Old 01-09-13, 06:33 PM
Looking at your picture again, it appears that the door was originally drilled for a 2-3/8" backset (residential standard), but the lock was replaced at some point with a 2-3/4" non-adjustable backset (commercial standard), and to accommodate it, the hole was elongated (shown at the extreme right edge in photo). So if you can't find an adjustable backset lock to your liking, a 2-3/8" BS will work fine.