Schlage Touchscreen Deadbolt

Old 02-12-13, 12:41 PM
Schlage Touchscreen Deadbolt

Hi,

My house currently uses Dexter by Schlage lock through out the house with a common key.

I recently bought a Schlage Motorized Touchscreen Deadbolt. I was planning to get a few more.

How do I re-key them to all the same key? (i.e.: Use the Dexter by Schlage Key I currently have) or at the least have all the Schlage Touchscreen Deadbolt to be a common key?

Is there a kit and instruction? Too costly to have a master lock smith do that.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-13, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

It's been my experience that Schlage and Dexter can be keyed to use the same key. Two choices are to do it yourself of have someone do it for you. The place where you bought the new locks might change them for you for a nominal fee ($3-5 each or so), I would start there. If you do go the locksmith route, it would probably not be all that expensive if you took the locks to them rather than had them come to you.

On the DIY side, there are kits you can buy to change the locks to a key which comes with the kit - these are pretty cheap (under $20). I forked out about a hundred bucks several years ago for an actual Schlage keying kit, has all the same pins used by Schlage so you can key your locks to an actual Schlage provided key.

Old 02-12-13, 04:20 PM
I would only add to what mitch said that, assuming you have several copies of the Dexter keys you'd like the new locks to fit, and you elect to have others rekey the cylinders, provide them with as many copies as you can, so as to maximize the likelihood that all copies will work smoothly. The tolerances of the Schlage cylinders may be a bit tighter than that of the Dexter, even tho they are now the same keyway, same company.

And while the big box store may do the job cheaper, a good locksmith, if made aware that other copies exist that will be expected to work as well, can "dress" the cylinder plug to allow for greater tolerances so as to accomodate slight variations between copies.

Of course, if all you have are original factory keys, only one sample is needed.