Schalge question

Old 02-20-13, 10:28 AM
Schalge question

So the other day the last Kwikswet handle in my house finally died. The handle turned and nothing happened. This handle is a locking handle between the house and the garage. There is no deadbolt on this door. All of the other doors in my house have Schlage products keyed to a common key. As we could not get in the garage and it was Saturday morning I decided to run up to the big box store and handle it myself. Grabbed a schlage entry knob, asked the nice older gentleman to re-key the lock to my existing common Schlage key and off I went. Got home, wrestled the broken Kwikset out and installed the new Schlage one. Was all proud of myself until I realized I have one of the Schlage "emergency exit" knobs. Argh! This is a disaster waiting to happen. This door is used a lot! Many chances to lock myself out. Had to hide a key in the garage but what a pain.

So here's the question...is there a way to convert the Schlage to a passage handle? As in remove the lock cylinder and insert a plug? So then i can get a proper dead bolt, do some drilling and hacking and have a proper set up? Or am i stuck tossing that $30+ Schalge emergency exit mess in the trash? Guessing I can't return it since it was re-keyed.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-13, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I would try returning it first, they might charge you a couple bucks to key it back.

Old 02-20-13, 06:05 PM
Assumming you've got the "F" series entry lock, the locking mechanism is stamped into the inner knob/lever assembly and can't be easily taken apart.

You might take out the cylinder, empty the pins and put the cylinder back.
At least all you'll need then is a simple screwdriver, coin, etc. to unlock.

Old 02-21-13, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'll stop by the box store and see if they can help me out on the return. All they can do is say no I guess. The big problem will be that when it was rekeyed he tossed the keys that came with it. Next time I'll make sure I keep them.

Old 02-21-13, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
It's pretty standard for them to keep the keys rather than give them back to you when they change the lock.