Home security Deadbolts

Old 02-09-01, 09:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I recently installed new entry and deadbolt locks, thought I was safe in selecting Schlage ultimate finish locks that indicated they fit any door. After drilling out the deadbolt holes, unfortunately found that the door is too wide to enable the lock to function properly. Any suggestions on a remedy would be greatly appreciated, ornamental deadlocks is not what I had in mind.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-01, 06:28 AM
When you say wide, I am assuming you mean the thickness of the door which is usually 1 3/4 inches maximum.How thick is your door? More than 1 3/4 inches? What is the style/number of your locks?
Or perhaps you are talking about the backset which is the distance from the center of your lock to the edge of the door which normally is normally 2 3/4 maximum unless you have the less common 5 inch backset.

[Edited by schiejr on 02-13-01 at 09:35]

Old 02-13-01, 11:13 AM
Visiting Guest
was speaking of thickness, door is 1 3/4" thick, Schlage ultimate finish the model number is FB352NV3. The problem I am having, due to the door thickness, the "tongues" for lack of a better descriptive name, are too short to insert into the appropriate slots within the cylinder mechanism.

Old 02-14-01, 06:35 AM
Let me see if I understand. The screws are long enough to secure the deadbolt properly. The problem is the tailpiece which is the flat piece that goes from the back of the cylinder through the latch mechanism to the slot on the thumbturn? If you have the tailpiece connected to the back of the cylinder and it turns properly, it is not long enough to go into the slot on the thumbturn or vice versa?

Old 02-14-01, 07:07 AM
Visiting Guest
your explanation sounds much better than mine and you are correct. The tailpiece goes through the latch mechanism but just barley fits into the slot on the thumbturn. When you turn the key, the deadbolt slides a 1/2 perhaps, at which point the torque causes the tailpiece to come out of the slot on the thumbturn.

Old 02-14-01, 07:16 AM
If the the screws are tight aqnd everything is installed correctly then the only thing would be to get a longer tailpiece. If the box says it will fit a 1 3/4 inch door perhaps the wrong part was included. Can you return them? The other option that may be easiest is go to your local lockshop with the lock and see if you can purchase a new longer tailpiece which should not be a large amount.