Help, please. Manual garage door lock broken, no other access.

Old 05-27-13, 05:51 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help, please. Manual garage door lock broken, no other access.

Hello. I have a garage door lock, "T" handle, that turns with no tension. I'm assuming that, that is the cause of the problems... the lock broke. The garage has no other access.

I see no other solution other than calling a locksmith and don't even know how they can fix it without breaking down the door. Since I don't see on the "T" handle any screws. Does anyone have any solutions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-13, 08:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm guessing....no windows in the doors ?

Is this the style of lock system you have.....with the big plate on the back ?

Usually with this type of lock the handle pulls out of the front of the door so you would be standing there with just a handle in your hand.

In this pic the locking arms are solid. The solid arms would go from the lock plate to the locks on the sides of the door.

Could your door use steel cable instead ? If so.....there is a possibility of grabbing that steel cable.

Name:  garage door lock.jpg
Views: 34570
Size:  31.2 KB

Old 05-28-13, 11:43 PM
depending on the T handle type, it might be possible to "pull the door to allow the side locking bars to clear the frame allowing you to lift the door partially, then climb in and unlock/repair etc.

If the T handle is unlocked, it is likely that the cam on the back has either come off or the spindle hole is worn out.

Old 05-30-13, 04:17 PM
G
thanks PJmax's for the welcome! And thanks to you and Global for answering.

Nope, no windows in the doors. I can't remember if that's the type of lock on the inside but it does seem like that's the one. I think it's more bars than just the steel cable. I'm going to take a pic and post the outside of the door, if that helps. I always remember having a bar on the inside and not the cable.

I honestly can't remember if the door was unlocked or not... I just know there's no tension in the handle. I like the idea of pulling the door but I think there's molding on the outside of the door. Again, I'm going to take a pic and post it.

Old 05-30-13, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Did you try unlocking the door ? Even if the handle was just spinning the door should still unlock. The handle is really only needed just to lock the door.

Old 05-31-13, 12:15 AM
The T handle will only turn as far as the cam allows. If there is no tension and the handle spins, it means the cam has come off and the locking bars may be locked. Even if the rim lock is unlocked, no tension indicates the cam is dislodged from the T handle spindle.