Dexter key?

Old 07-28-13, 06:04 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dexter key?

Hi,

I'm new in this forum and I like it. Too much hard to find information and knowledgeable people around here. So, here's my doubt:

I recently bought a home and received it with "Dexter" door locks. The key doesn't look like the ones provided with the Dexter by Schlage products, it looks more like a Kwikset key, but the shoulder to 1st cut distance is shorter when compared against the Kwikset keys from the locks I own.

Here's a picture of one of the keys I have:

Name:  Dexter key.jpg
Views: 2483
Size:  15.6 KB

My objective is to rekey these locks to match the Kwikset locks I installed in an apartment I own, but I don't want to spend more than it would cost me to buy new Kwikset locks and throw these "Dexter" locks away.

What's your advice?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-29-13, 10:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's been my experience that a Schlage key will not fit a Kwikset keyway and vice-versa. I would see which brand key will go into the lock and make the decision based on that.

Old 07-29-13, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
if the keyway is identical to kwikset (and it looks like it) then rekeying each key cylinder is easy and much more cost effective than replacing.

Old 08-01-13, 02:11 AM
A
I appreciate your responses.

Thank you!

Old 08-01-13, 06:54 PM
R
Received 48 Upvotes on 45 Posts
Take one of your "Dexter by Schlage" cylinders complete with tailpiece (or the entire lock, if you can't extract the cylinder) to your local locksmith, who can most likely key up an aftermarket replacement cylinder designed to fit the houses' Dexter's, but in the Schlage "C" keyway, ie., "Dexter by Schlage". Aftermarket replacement cylinders come with a variety of tailpiece operators to fit most common locks, but it's always a good idea to to take the lock, as sometimes a little modification has to be made to allow the aftermarket cylinder to fit properly.

Old 08-01-13, 08:51 PM
A
Thank you!

I'm going to take them to the locksmith over the weekend (I hope), to see if he can match my Kwikset keys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: