REPLACING Existing Security Screen Door Key Lock

Old 03-26-05, 04:44 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question REPLACED Security Screen Door Key Lock NOW suddenly unlockable

REPLACED Security Screen Door Key Lock in perfect working order NOW suddenly unlockable ... The manufacturer brand names lockwood/whitco/astral for the original lock and the replacement lock ... both locks are identical for size and for shape ... with door open unscrewed the one bolt holding the old lock into the door mechanism and removed the old lock by turning the key slightly for the cam/tailpiece to align correctly for removal ... and then inserted brand new replacement lock and tightened the one bolt ... but new lock does not turn sufficiently to operate the door mechanism as key rotates part way when in door HOWEVER key rotates fully when outside the door mechanism ... repeat the process in reverse and put the original working lock back into place from the same side of the door that it was removed from moreover with the cam/tailpiece still in the correct rotation direction BUT it too also now fails to work as the old lock now does not rotate sufficiently to operate the door mechanism as key rotates part way when in door HOWEVER key rotates fully when outside the door mechanism

The old key lock now fails to work. The new key lock the same in all respects as the old key lock, including the length of lock itself as well as the cam/tailpiece size and shape and the possible 360 degree rotation of the cam/tailpiece when the lock is not inside a door. The five pin keyed-alike lock is key operated from both inside and outside.

The cam/tailpiece is no longer mating properly with the other lock parts within the security door itself, but can not see anything blocking or loose or misplaced.

The cam/tailpiece could be hitting something inside the security door that prevents it from turning all the way to secure the door into the locked position, but can not see anything blocking or loose or misplaced.

There is minimal play and/or adjustment of the key lock mechanism, when the one retaining bolt is fully tightened.

Manufacturer brand names lockwood/whitco/astral (abloy) for the original key lock and the replacement key lock.

Tried taking the key lock out of the door on the outside and then rotating it half a turn before reinstalling, but it still does not work properly.

Tried taking the key lock out of the door on the outside and then reversing it and inserting it again from the outside, and then rotating it half a turn before reinstalling, but it still does not work properly.

Also tried the suggestion to be sure the key itself was not left operating inside the key lock until the key lock was fully installed back in the door, but it still does not work properly, and the door can not be locked/unlocked.

Hope that you can help find a good working solution to this dilemna of a suddenly unlockable security door ... help needed with all your suggestions please ... Thank You ... 2nd April 2005 ...

Last edited by kingsley; 04-08-05 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-26-05, 06:42 PM
W
WGW
Hi kingsley
It sounds like you have the tail piece(the flat bar) in the wrong rotation (assumming it has a tail piece).
Try taking the cylinder out of the door and rotating it half a turn then reinstalling.
Be sure the key is'nt in the lock until it's fully installed back in the door.
Let us know how you made out after trying this.

Regards

Old 03-26-05, 06:46 PM
S
Is the new lock the same in all respects as the old lock? I am thinking length of lock itself as well as the cam size and shape. If even a bit off, it could be hitting something in the door that prevents it from turning all the way. Sometimes the depth of the cylinder will also be a factor-is there any play or adjustment before you tighten it down?

Do have a manufacturer name? The fact that the old lock does not work would suggest that you have a timing problem-a cam or tailpiece that is not mating with the lock parts properly.

Old 03-27-05, 02:58 AM
K
Question Thank you for your initial suggestions

Thank you for your initial suggestions, and hope that with the additional information now provided, that there are others in this forum who can provide more help to finally find a good working solution to this dilemna of a suddenly unlockable security door ...

... eventually gave up waiting for help that worked successfully and called a local locksmith who used her years of knowledge and her expertise to replace both the door mecxhanism and the door lock in under ten minutes and charged $120 for the call out fee and $60 for labour and $80 for parts making the total cost of $260 ...

Last edited by kingsley; 04-29-05 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-13-05, 09:40 PM
Lindsay
Visiting Guest
key missing

Hello - you seem like a helpful lot - I am attempting to replace a security screen lock - we just bought the house and the lock is minus the key - I have everything done except I can't get the key lock out because I don't have a key to line up the cam - any suggestions please? Regards Lindsay

Old 09-30-05, 10:50 AM
fixitlady
Visiting Guest
Cool no key for security door to line up cam

Originally Posted by Lindsay
Hello - you seem like a helpful lot - I am attempting to replace a security screen lock - we just bought the house and the lock is minus the key - I have everything done except I can't get the key lock out because I don't have a key to line up the cam - any suggestions please? Regards Lindsay

Hi Lindsay, I can't seem to find any replies to your problem, which is the same problem as mine. Were you able to fix problem? Please let me know what the solution is...or someone else out there...Thanks

Old 09-30-05, 11:36 AM
S
If the door is open, it may be possible to remove the whole lock.If the key is required to remove the lock and you do not have one, the cylinder must be picked to turn it to the proper position. Picking usually requires professional help and is beyond the scope of this forum.

Old 08-14-13, 09:46 PM
S
Hey People, as a female I worked this one out took me approx 6mins to re-line
cam to get lock out.
1. Make sure it's locked from inside with latch obviously only lock not latched.
2. All screws out and take off plate.
3. Barrel will become slightly loose, but won't come out.
4. Using a strong piece of cotton, fishing line etc. thread thro next to barrel where
can.
5. Looking from the inside of screen door Bring thread to top of right side of barrel.
6. Bring thread down on left side which will catch the cam, putting it into the position
To take barrel out.

Easy as pie! Hope it helps u, as no other forum helped me but just common sense!

Old 08-15-13, 02:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! After 8 years, I sure hope they got theirs fixed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: