Schlaage entry interior knob only turns one way

Old 10-16-13, 04:26 AM
Schlaage entry interior knob only turns one way

MY door set is 14 years old and always worked fine. Recently, the interior knob will only turn one way.

My husband removed the knob last night and says that the way the mechanism is, it can ONLY turn one way...but it has turned 2 ways for years.

The house just sold and this is something they asked us to fix and it is antique brass which is not readily available and matches the deadbolt and all the other hardware in the house..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-13, 05:09 AM
Replacement parts or locksmith

Can I get replacement parts or should I call a locksmith?

Old 10-20-13, 08:20 PM
14 years is a reasonable life span for a residential grade lockset...replace with new. Would the new lock need to match the key to other existing Schlage locks? If not, you might be able to find a different brand, cheaper than a Schlage too, whose antique brass finish would come reasonably close to matching. If the new lock has to be keyed to the other Schlage locks, you'll have fewer choices, but still there are a number of cheaper alternatives with the popular Schlage keyway, that can be set to your existing keys.

Or, you can take the broken lock to your local smithy, have him provide a replacement, fit it to your key if desired, & you can take it home & install it yourself, thereby saving the service (trip) charge.

Old 10-27-13, 12:25 AM
it sounds to me like the latch mechanism may be worn out. If the handle turns one way and operates correctly but not the other way, it is likely that the lock receiver is not contacting the latch connector. I think you need a new latch.