old medeco deadbolt

Old 12-30-13, 09:09 AM
old medeco deadbolt

I'm trying to remove a Medeco deadbolt that is possibly 50 years old. There are two holes on either side of the drive in style throw bolt but doesn't seem to be an allen screw. I don't see anything else that can release. Any ideas? I'm trying to put pictures on here but I'm new to this and don't know if they are attached.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-13, 08:31 PM
While the cylinder is Medeco, the deadbolt housing is a "Lori" which places it no more than 30 years old or so. There is indeed a set screw for each cylinder, accessed thru the holes on each side of the bolt, as clearly shown in your excellent pictures. Since the set screws impinge on the cylinder grooves, and your backset appears to be 2-3/4", you will need an allen wrench at least 2-1/4" or preferably 2-1/2" long. Socket size very small, 3/32" if I recall +/-.

Withdraw (unlock) the bolt & its holes will guide the wrench into the sockets.
Unscrew key cylinder first (with partly-inserted key or flat blade screwdriver), then the thumbturn will be easier to unscrew.

On rare occasions, no set screws were installed, (the wrench will go deep, clear to the cylinder groove) whereby the cylinders were simply snugged-up against the spacer-compression springs...(no security there!)...in which case with sufficient torque, the cylinders should simply unscrew.

Old 12-31-13, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the info. I tried a long allen wrench originally but it didn't seem to catch. Maybe there is no set screw so I will try the allen wrench again and then try a little more torque. I'll have to wait till I have a longer allen available again so I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Old 01-03-14, 08:07 PM
Absence of the set screw would be rare, but after trying several allen wrenches 3/32" +/- & not feeling it "catch", take a large straightened paperclip or similar straight wire & poke it straight into the hole; pinch it against the edge of the door where it bottoms out to get a measurement, remove it & hold it on the outside to see how far it went.

Absence of set screw will allow it to bottom out about 1/4" "in" from the cylinder's flange. (not the outer security collar, but the "Medeco" cylinder).

The presence of a set screw however will bottom the poke tool about even with the flange, the set screw itself being about 1/4"long.

Remember, there should be a set screw on both sides.

Old 01-20-14, 04:11 PM
Turned out to be a 5/64 allen set screw. I think the smallest my guys had was 3/32 and he gave up. I brought my set and it worked. Guess I need to unscrew his head and add a little something there. I appreciate your time and expertise.

Old 01-20-14, 05:08 PM
Thanks for posting the exact allen wrench size...now if I can just remember it...the Lori deadbolt issue comes up regularly, it seems.