Could I replace a spring with an O ring in a Sargent Lock.

Old 01-04-14, 04:38 PM
Could I replace a spring with an O ring in a Sargent Lock.

I have one of those old 1890s Sargent Locks. The brass spring broke, someone bent a coil to reuse it, and it eventually broke again. I found that a 7/8 x 1/16 plumbing O ring I had laying around could be doubled over and fit into the mechanism to make it work as it did with the spring. I am using the O ring like a rubber band.

Do you guys think this will last for say 5 years? If it breaks do you suppose it will jamb the lock? Or should I just find a new spring?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-14, 04:32 AM
Group Moderator
Whether it will last 5 years depends on a lot of things but I would vote "no".

O rings are available in different materials. Natural rubber just like in a rubber band can be degraded by pollutants in the air but a synthetic rubber, urethane or silicone one will probably last longer. O rings are intended as seals so the rubber in them is not forumulated for stretching. It might last a bit longer if you're using it in compression and last longer if you're not flexing it much.

Old 01-05-14, 10:19 AM
Thank you for your response. Many people with old houses have these locks so a solution from when the spring breaks would be nice. Can you recommend a small rubber band like thing that is available at a local hardware store? Or hobby store?

Old 01-05-14, 01:25 PM
Group Moderator
Honestly, I don't know what lock you have or what spring you need. I have a number of old locks on my rental properties and just make parts as needed without worrying about what they are. Can you post a picture or a link to your lock and the spring?

Old 01-05-14, 07:28 PM
Locks of that era used both coil springs and flat springs. From your description it may be the coil spring used to bias the latch. If you live in a large metropolitan area, a good retail hardware store will have a selection of coil springs. It generally has to be the type of hardware store that has row upon row of loose nuts, bolts, screws etc, where you can buy them individually.

But like Pilot said, O-rings are not intended to stretch.