Deadbolt will not retract all the way

Old 02-06-14, 04:49 PM
Deadbolt will not retract all the way

Last night when I went to lock my front door I heard a strange clicking noise when I put the lock firmly in place. When I went to unlock the the lock I found that the deadbolt was not fully retracting to allow me to open the door. I took the face off of the lock to investigate but still cannot figure out what is happening. I used a screwdriver to attempt to fully retract the deadbolt but in the unlocked state around 20% of the deadbolt is still in the door making it impossible to open. I've attached some pics to show what's going on.

Name:  photo_1.jpg
Views: 9020
Size:  31.5 KB

This is a photo of the lock fully unlocked with a screwdriver

Name:  photo_2.jpg
Views: 8052
Size:  18.9 KB

This is the deadbolt still in the door frame even though it is fully in the unlocked position

Name:  photo_3.jpg
Views: 8240
Size:  29.4 KB

When I attempt to lock the deadbolt it will only move this far to the left. I assume it is hitting the back of frame and has nowhere else to move.

Does anyone know what is happening and how to fix it? It looks to me like I've somehow reset the fully unlocked position or something. I attempted to push the deadbolt back while it is in the unlocked position but either my needlenose pliers couldn't get a good grip on it or it is stuck, even after I hit it with some graphite lubricant. I should also note I'm in Colorado where it has been in the negative to single temperatures the last couple days in a row. Thanks!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-14, 08:19 PM
I assume you have tried to operate the bolt (with the screwdriver as shown) with the door open as well as closed...if it works well with door open, but not closed, the bolt is binding in the strike hole & there may be numerous reasons for this.

If the bolt doesn't work smoothly with the door open: a) could it simply be wearing out? how old is it? It appears to be a Kwikset brand (or clone) and they are inexpensively made, & don't last forever. b) While graphite is ideal for a key cylinder lubricant, for the bolt assembly, it might not penetrate into the moving parts as necessary. Try a penetrating lube, to see if smooth operation is restored. (WD-40 is a good penetrant, but not for long-term lubrication; follow it up with several drops of machine or motor oil---the WD-40 will wick the oil where it needs to go.)

Whether you restore this lock or replace it, make sure the bolt is able to smoothly project it's full throw into the door frame till it "clicks"....this allows it to "deadlock" so it can't be jimmied open with external force, such as a caseknife.

Old 02-06-14, 08:33 PM
After looking at your photos again, I am more inclined to advise you to just replace the lock. Your 1st pic. shows the retractor mechanism in the fully open position, and I assume that at that point the bolt is still not fully retracted, as shown in your next pic. --- I've never seen this condition before, even on a worn-out lock, and it would seem indicate a bent or forced linkage inside the stamped bolt assy.

Replace it before it locks you out.

Old 02-07-14, 09:57 AM
Thanks rstripe.

I am planning on replacing the lock but the biggest problem right now is since the deadbolt is still in the door frame in the unlocked position I am unable to even open the door to take it out. Any ideas how to get the deadbolt to retract fully so I open the door? The only solution I can think at this point is to cut the deadbolt with my circular saw or something.

Old 02-07-14, 11:58 AM
wedge between the door and frame. I usually use an airbag (like used for opening cars) to spread the frame from the door.
I suggest that either the deadbolt mechanism is busted or the bolt is not sitting correctly in the bore hole.

Old 02-07-14, 06:08 PM
In that case, as the bolt linkage is clearly broken, it is likely not to be "deadlocked", and by wedging the door from the frame, as Global suggested, should give you enough room to use a screwdriver or similar to "walk" the bolt back.

However, if the broken linkage has jammed the bolt in it's thrown position & can't be forced back, 2 solutions come to mind:

1) If you need a quick fix, & have a 1/4" or more gap between the door & frame,
(on the lock side of the door) and have a friend to help, you can pull the hinge pins & remove the door. (The friend comes in more handy to re-hang the door than to remove it).

2) No buddy, but got time? Take a big screwdriver & using a hammer for extra persuasion, pry apart the stamped linkage mechanism from the latch tube, and remove as much broken linkage as possible, so as to allow the bolt to be pushed back without resistance.