Baldwin mortise lock

Old 03-26-14, 07:27 AM
Baldwin mortise lock

Baldwin mortise lock.

The key was hanging up in my Baldwin mortise lock so I had a locksmith come to my home to fix it. He removed the cylinder took it to his truck and got it working properly again. When he reinstalled the cylinder the key no longer hangs up and the door can be opened with the key but not with the outside lever. The lock cannot be totally unlocked and when the deadbolt is engaged the key cannot be removed. All the functions of the lock worked before the cylinder was removed. How do I get the lock working again?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-14, 07:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why would you not call him back and make him really fix it this time?

Old 03-26-14, 12:57 PM
At this time I am trying to get him to come back and make it right. It will also make it easier if I know what is needed to be done and I still need to know how to fix it because I will be taking the hardware off to strip and paint the door.

Old 03-26-14, 03:28 PM
Just got off the line with locksmith.
He is coming back to make it right.
Still would like to know how to fix it myself.

Old 04-02-14, 07:39 PM
Hopefully your problem is solved by now....the cylinder was re-installed "out of time" as we say, and this usually pertains to "cylindrical" locks (the key goes into the knob or lever itself, rather than a "mortise" lock, where the key goes into a cylinder about 4" above the knob or lever). A mortise lock can act like you describe if the cylinder is not aligned properly when re-installed.

In either case, your "locksmith" may not have been very thorough during his first visit.