Schlage interconnected lock disassembly

Old 03-30-14, 06:50 AM
Schlage interconnected lock disassembly

I recently purchased an old house. The key for the front door was missing. I wanted to have it rekeyed to match the other doors and purchased a Prime-line rekeying kit. The Schlage locks all have "C" keys. The problem is disassembly. This lock has the knob and deadbolt integrated(interconnected?). They have a single rectangular metal cover plate for both parts. Turning the knob from the inside unlocks the deadbolt if it is locked so there is a mechanical interlock between the knob and the deadbolt.
My problem is disassembly. I can remove the interior knob, but I can't figure out how to proceed.
The locks are at least ten years old.
Any suggestion re welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-14, 08:41 PM
Sounds like the old "G" series...If I recall, the inner escutcheon trim plate is held on by a small tab retainer that has to be pushed in with a small screwdriver or poke tool. It's on the underside of the plate. The plate then rotates back & up and can be lifted off the upper fixed tab. This exposes the upper & lower tie screws that hold the lock together.

This is how they worked in the 1980's, your model may be different.

Old 04-03-14, 03:39 AM
I'll try that. (Won't be at that house until next weekend.) I don't recall the rectangular plate being loose enough to lift up. The deadbolt at the upper end is pretty tight.
Will report.
Thanks

Old 04-04-14, 08:00 PM
One thing that would confirm that this is an old "G" series "interconnected" lock is the unique latch/bolt arrangement on the edge of the door...both latch & bolt protrude thru a common guide-plate measuring 1-1/8" X 4-1/4".

Be very careful when disassembling...it's a rather complicated mechanism...take note of the relative positions of the parts as you separate the lock halves, so they will be correct upon re-assembly. Failing to do so could result in an "out-of-time" condition and the lock won't work right.