I'd like to replace this lock

Old 05-18-14, 06:45 PM
I'd like to replace this lock

Name:  door_outside.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  35.0 KBName:  door_inside.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  26.8 KB

I'd like to replace this lock with a Schlage. I'd settle for another Craftsman lock if need be, so long as it took a regular key. The point is, I want a rim lock that I have a key for, and it would be nice to keep the assembly and bolt.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-14, 08:18 PM
I don't remember the old Craftsman very well but I'm pretty sure it takes a standard "Rim" cylinder....removing the inside bolt assembly should reveal 2 screws on a backing plate opposite the outer cylinder, with a flat bar poking thru a hole in said plate, that operates the bolt. I'm not sure what you are calling a "regular" key
but the big box stores have replacement Rim cylinders with using one of the popular keyways, allowing duplication most anywhere. If you want to match an existing key, your local locksmith can provide you with the correct cylinder, keyed to your key, (in most cases).

Old 05-19-14, 07:39 AM
By 'regular key' I meant, not the antique key that the doorknob takes. So, going from the keywords 'rim cylinder' I found this: Schlage 20-022 Conventional Rim Cylinder - Door Dead Bolts - Amazon.com
Would that work? (just the pic, not the price!)
Thanks for your help BTW!

Old 05-19-14, 08:35 AM
replace it with the Yale 112, here is a pic

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server54...0.1280.JPG?c=2

not too expensive, but straightforward

Old 05-25-14, 03:09 PM
Yes, that is a "Rim" cylinder...Your photo shows a higher quality (made from solid bar stock) cylinder, but the cast variety as shown in Global's Yale photo is perfectly acceptable. With a replacement cylinder, you may find that re-using the Craftsman backing plate works better than the plate that comes with the replacement cylinder.

Note that a "Rim" cylinder is a very common industry standard, in that virtually any Rim cylinder will interchange with any other Rim cylinder (in the USA) and there are dozens of keyways, finishes, qualities. You can get them that are highly pick-resistant, and/or with registered keys from your local locksmith. Or you can get one for cheap at your local big box or hardware store.