Need help removing old door knob with no screws

Old 07-18-14, 08:21 AM
Need help removing old door knob with no screws

I have searched and searched but I cannot get this doorknob off of my rear entry door. It has not visible screws, but it does have pin holes on the handle which I was able to use to remove the interior knob. I CANNOT get the trim plate off though, no matter what I try! The trim plate does not have any slits to insert a flat screw driver, however I can get on under there. Doing so pries up the edge, and it will spin but still stuck on something. I've tried spinning it enough in case it was threaded on but that did not work either. Here are lots of pictures - I really don't want to pay a locksmith $75 to remove a doorknob!

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-14, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Is the trim piece turning freely or is it threaded? I've seen locks where it threads in place and squeezes the door.

Old 07-18-14, 11:50 AM
Figured it out.

I finally figured this out. It's a "weisler" lock, and with a wrench and a lot of muscle I was able to unthread the cylinder.

Thanks!

Old 07-20-14, 04:06 PM
Well, it says and looks like a Grade 1 Yale to me, and yes you have discovered that the inner collar ring unscrews to allow removal...we use a special spanner tool for this purpose, but a channel-lock pliers will work if you are careful not to crush the collar...& use a rag to protect the finish.