Help locked in apartment

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-14, 04:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help locked in apartment

Hi guys. I am hoping someone can help me.
I am stuck in my apartment . I tried to lock the door and turned half a turn (door is now looked ) but the key is stuck! !!

This is a safe lock key.
I am screwed? I will call a locksmith tomorrow. But are there alternative s? I believe getting it open is almost impossible as its a safe lock door especially with the key stuck inside.

I have tried lubricating the keyhole but to bo avail and worry if I force it too hard the key will break.

Help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-14, 04:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Do you have food? Better locked in with food than to be locked out in the rain. If the key is still in the slot, can't you turn it the other way to unlock it? Push on the door to relieve the pressure on the lockset. What is a safelock? Where are you located? Your profile is incomplete.

Old 07-19-14, 04:29 PM
B
I dont really have food but I will manage. I am actually Australian. But I am currently on vacation in Bosnia. Long story short I rented an apartment for a few days. Tonight when I came home I locked the main door before bed. Managed to turn it half a circle ( door locked) but it jammed and refused to move either way (to lock / unlock.)

What meant by a safe lock is that the actual key looks like one ( a safe lock as per google images) and the door is some sort of serious security door a metal sheet sandwiched in between the door I presume with horizontal metal bars.

Im not usually one to panic and have contacted the owner.
He will be here in the morning tomorrow with a lock Smith.
But given the type of lock and door. Does anyone know how easy it would be to unlock from the outside (key is stuck in the keyhole inside ).

EDIT: The lock set model is called a mottura lock for armored door. But I am unsure of the actual model number.

Old 07-19-14, 08:24 PM
Wow, I am looking at the a picture of a mottura key. There seems to be a lot of tumblers in the cylinder. I would again try what Chandler recommended, push or pull on the doorknob and try to turn the key. Anyway, please update us when you get out.

Old 07-19-14, 09:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Don't you think that you should be calling emergency services? It might be 112 there.

Old 07-20-14, 12:37 AM
B
Well its the morning. I am still stuck inside the apartment (waiting doe the owner and a locksmith)
Will update on how they opened the door.

I still can't get the key out. Will this stuck key be a massive problem ?

Old 07-20-14, 04:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I have no idea what is involved in fixing the issue but if the locksmith is any good he will remove the key and fix the issue so it won't happen again ... or at least advise what needs to be replaced to prevent a occurrence.

Old 07-20-14, 07:37 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Oops, sorry for the duplicate post.

Old 07-20-14, 07:40 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I think that guy is trolling us. Who gets trapped somewhere & posts a question in a DIY forum?

Old 07-20-14, 08:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Someone who doesn't want to be stuck inside and/or wait for the locksmith?

Old 07-20-14, 08:44 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Well there is definitely a life/safety issue which would be a code violation in the U.S. but it isn't the U.S. Certainly if I was the poster I'd be demanding changes in the lock.

Old 07-20-14, 08:54 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't believe a word of it. Anyone else would call emergency services not post a lock question in the fences & gates sub forum.

Old 07-20-14, 09:09 AM
Received 253 Votes on 227 Posts
I'm think I'm leaning towards Pulpo's "it's a fake" theory. I mean WTF, calling some kind of emergency service would be a logical 1st reaction. Using this forum would be a last resort and if it was I, would be in a panic! Plus the poster has Internet service and therefore must have basic services of all sorts available. And why would an apartment have such a lock on an ordinary entrance door (albeit the location might warrant such a lock). Things don't add up.

Old 07-20-14, 10:07 AM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
I'm still stuck on the "vacationing in Bosnia" part of the post. So yes I too would suspect trolling.

Old 07-20-14, 10:17 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I was thinking of that too but I happened to have known people from there & they would go there for vacation. At times it was hard for them to do that since they had filed an I-589 form for political asylum & you really can't vacation in a place that you told the Feds was too dangerous, if you were deported there.

Old 07-20-14, 10:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
OP has stated the landlord and a locksmith were on the way. Barring resolution through that, emergency services should be called (police, fire department), which has already been mentioned.

I'm going to close this since the recent conversation has gotten off track.

Closed Thread