Schlage Mortise Lock - tightening

Old 07-19-14, 03:44 PM
Schlage Mortise Lock - tightening

The place I bought has a Schlage Mortise lock on the front door. It has a lever rather than a knob. The building is around 15 years old. Other than that, I don't have a model or anything.

The lever machinism is loose. I see a small hole on the ring around where the level goes into the door. I need to get that off to access the screws. I've tried every size small allen wrench I have and every small screwdriver I have.

Any clue how to get this cover off? I have a feeling if it is an allen screw it could be stripped. Then what do I do? The ring could have also rotated, but seems on there tight.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-14, 02:38 PM
A pic tells a thousand words.
Suffice, it sounds like a lever entrance lock. I doubt it is a mortise lock as typically, unless it is a high rise apartment building or an old brownstone (way older than 15), most residential doors use cylindrical locksets...especially in the midwest.

On a typical Schlage lever, the inside handle will allow the retainer pin to depress. If you are trying to take off the outer lever, you will need to turn the key first before depressing the retainer pin.

Old 07-20-14, 03:35 PM
Confirm you have a mortise lock rather than a cylindrical or other type lock: The key goes into a cylinder a couple inches above the lever rather than into the lever itself? If so, it is a mortise lock and the inner collar (with the small hole) unscrews....we use a special spanner wrench but you can use a channel-lock pliers or similar to unscrew it, but use a rag or something between the pliers and collar to keep from scratching the finish. this will remove the inner lever, then the rose will fall off revealing the 2 tie screws. Don't squeeze the pliers too much or you could deform the collar.

If the key goes into the lever itself, you have a cylindrical (or unit lock, not likely) and removal is as Global stated.

Old 07-21-14, 08:07 AM
Here is a picture. I am pretty sure it is a mortise lock. There is one keyhole for the deadbolt and lever.

Attached Images  
Old 07-21-14, 08:19 AM
the inner collar (with the small hole) unscrews....we use a special spanner wrench
How does it unscrew with the lever on there?

Old 07-21-14, 08:24 AM
the collar unscrews definitely. And will slide around the lever. there will be 3 small screws holding the handle on.

I presume as said, you are in a high rise apartment?

Old 07-21-14, 09:26 AM
No, it is townhouse. I'm not sure why they went with mortise locks. It makes it expensive/difficult to change out.

Old 07-21-14, 09:45 AM
the collar unscrews definitely. And will slide around the lever. there will be 3 small screws holding the handle on.
That worked. Thanks.

I never would have guessed that. The hole completely threw me off.

Old 07-21-14, 10:28 AM
they probably went with mortise locks because the quality is much better than most cylindrical locks. And usually mortise locks are considered Grade 1 and warrantied for 25 years. There is less likely to go wrong with a mortise lock and was probably intended to have high quality low maintenance products. Many of your other fixtures and appliances are probably higher end products too.

Glad I could help.