Fake or real sec camera

Old 08-13-14, 07:32 AM
Fake or real sec camera

Hello
i have a neighbor installed a camera pointing directly to my house - to the patio door, kitchen window and dinning room window. Not to tell how much this is related to privacy invasion but would like to know, is this a real or one of those fake cameras. The power light goes on all the time but i dont see any wifi antenna or coax cable and it looks very vintage..Name:  DSC_6665-small.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  16.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-14, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

How well do you know the neighbor? My first thought would be to ask them under the guise of whether they might be adding some security to your place.

Old 08-13-14, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
It's certainly old. I've not seen a relatively modern real camera with a LED. Old, really old security cameras had them as do most fakes.

I'm not a lawyer but as far as privacy issues I don't think there are any. They can monitor their property. When houses are close it can be almost impossible to monitor the property (lawn, entrance paths to back yard...) without catching someone else's house in the frame. If they have the camera specifically or obviously positioned solely to pear into your home then you might have an issue.

Old 08-13-14, 09:34 AM
It does look dated, but it does look intimidating. Some neighbors a few miles away just went all the way through lawyers and code arguments and ultimately the guy that put up the camera had to remove it, his was disguised inside a bird house. In plain view, as that one is, its intention is to be obvious and scare the bad guys away before they break in. But it does invade your privacy.

I would definitely try to find a way to talk, especially after listening to the grief several families went through here. They are basically the Hatfields and McCoys now and certainly destroys any form of a friendly neighborhood.

If they actually wanted to snoop on you, they would probably have concealed the camera better.

Bud

Old 08-13-14, 09:56 AM
mithc17 - this is a duplex property; we moved here 3 years ago. recently we installed real sec cameras covering only our yard, back and front. we have no garage and need some sort of protection. They might be intimidated with our cameras but our cameras do not even points to their direction!? Attaching a picture taken from my deck, about 8ft away from their deck. Their camera points directly to our house, door and windows.
Pilot Dane - the "camera" is pointing directly to our house, not even covering a peace of their property. Pls check another attachment.
bud9051 - i believe camera is here trying to intimidate but i would like to know if it is real or not. If it is real then i'll go to authorities, if it is not i will lough at it when neighbors are out ..

Name:  small-DSC_6657.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  37.2 KB

Old 08-13-14, 11:36 AM
Two things you can try if they do not offer a neighbor friendly reason. . Get your own and do the same thing, or point a bright light at the camera. I mean a pin point bright light. Maybe even a laser pointer, although that may be illegal.

If they are truly wanting to provide security for themsleves and others then ask them if you may also have the codes to view it on your computer.

Old 08-13-14, 12:34 PM
Norm201 - i do have my sec cameras but they are covering my yard and not their patio. I would probably take few photos and place a visit to authorities and municipality. Will see what they have to say about this. if not, then good old laser pointer or floodlight conveniently pointed to the camera might do the trick. Thanks

Old 08-13-14, 12:53 PM
I also have a IP cam on the front of my house. I have encouraged neighbors to view it from time to time and I hand out the Internet address freely. I figure the more people who are watching the safer it is for all.

Old 08-13-14, 01:48 PM
i agree with you; our neighborhood was attacked by group of thieves (i found that after we moved in) and i think the same - if you are not hiding anything you should not be offended by sec system. But in this case is probable something else. I found this link that might be related to this particular camera model

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Old 08-13-14, 06:28 PM
Not an expert on cameras, but I agree with others that it looks rather old, & the absence of a co-ax cable could mean it's an early wireless version. The resolution is probably not too good. If you got close enough at some point to see the apparent label on the bottom, there may be enough info to search the internet for more info.

Meantime, you might point your nearest camera toward their patio for a while, and if you happen to see them outside some day, you can say "Howdy, neighbor! I sure appreciate you keepin' an eye on my property for me with your camera, so I'm returnin' the favor!" Of course, that might encourage a friendship you might not necessarily want. ;-/

Old 08-13-14, 10:39 PM
take a laser pointer and point it directly at the lense. That will block almost all older cameras (almost to the point of damaging the mirrors). That should teach your neighbor a lesson.