Can you buy just the "guts" for a Schlage handleset?

Old 09-11-14, 05:23 PM
Can you buy just the "guts" for a Schlage handleset?

I have a Schlage Avanti privacy handleset and the interior mechanism displayed some broken metal bits when I took it off to diagnose a latch bolt not retracting. I just bought a replacement from Mendard's, but can I save myself some of that $27 since the bulk of the material - the two handles - is fine, and I just need whatever goes between them?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-14, 06:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Schlage appears to have a limited lifetime mechanical warranty - whatever that means. Might be worth checking out. I don't ever recall being able to purchase the internal parts only - just a complete lockset.

Old 09-11-14, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Stop by a locksmith if they won't send you any parts or a new set. The guy behind the counter will probably give you the part or have a minimal charge, if he has one.

Now, if you need the entire latch mechanism (the part that extends to the edge of the door), I know Lowes and HD sell those, I dunno about Menards. Prob have to order it either way, and looks like they are $15 or so by themselves.

Old 09-11-14, 07:53 PM
Presuming that the "whatever goes between them" is the latch assembly, most locksmiths carry replacement latches for common locks, but I don't have any idea of the going price nowadays....but if you only paid $27 for a complete new privacy set, I doubt if you'll pay less than half that for the replacement latch.

Old 09-12-14, 04:46 AM
Thank you all - considering the prices you're ballparking, sounds like I can just go ahead with the new installation without worrying about being too wasteful.