Looking for resi door lock upgrade recommendation - possibly electronic/keyless

Old 10-04-14, 08:22 AM
Looking for resi door lock upgrade recommendation - possibly electronic/keyless

I would like to upgrade my locks for my house. There is one outside door and one in the garage. Both have a deadbolt and a regular lock.

BTW. why are such setups so common? Couldn't there be a way to have one lock "device"? Or just a handle without a lock plus deadbolt?

I would not mind getting some electronic capabilities:
- able to program codes (key?) for a certain day/time
- monitoring
- A touchpad for the garage door would be good.

What brand should I look at to get a safe/good product?

E.g. Schlage seems to have a product with Z-Wave. I wasn't sure if this allows to program or not. I think it requires a subscription
Kwikset seems to be another approach. However, reviews seem to be not great and it seems to be easy to pick
I found others such as Yale, Samsung,..

Any advice is welcome...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-14, 07:25 PM
First to your BTW: They are common due to tradition & cost factors. And yes there are single-unit locks having both latch & deadbolt but they are costlier & less reliable in the residential versions, and reliable but less adaptable plus much costlier in the commercial versions.

Electronics? Commercial/industrial requirements are somewhat different than residential requirements, and electronic locks for the residential market must by necessity be much less costly. If you like new electronic gadgets, by all means, experiment, but always have a bypass key if (when) the electronics or battery fails.

I have a Schlage BE series digital latch on my garage-to-kitchen door and we sometimes lock it when we're working in the back yard and don't want the neighbor kids wandering in, but for security we lock the keyed deadbolt.

There's a new residential version out now that will unlock as you approach the door using Bluetooth I think, but I'm not ready to trust that.

Old 10-05-14, 10:03 AM
I am using a basic electronic keypad Schlage as well for the entry door from garage to house, to avoid lockouts. It seems to work well and battery lasts - which is good as the Schlage requires to unscrew the housing to get new batteries in.

It seems that going all electronic would almost require two keypads. Would be nice to have only one for both locks. But such models seem to be rare or are more commercial looking.

Schlage has some newer models, but appear not to solve the "two lock" retrofit situation.
Kwikset is similar, plus doesn't have good reviews, apparently can be picked easily.
There are some gadgets on the market which I wouldn't trust.
Assa and Yale seem offer a bit better quality - but I find not much information.

Old 10-07-14, 08:11 PM
If the "2 lock" issue is what's bugging you, use a deadbolt version of whatever battery/digital/programmable lock you like and replace the knob/lever ("regular") lock with a passage set (that doesn't lock.) The "regular" lock offers very little security (digital or otherwise, because of it's springlatch) and a passage set will also reduce the chance of an accidental lockout.

Old 10-21-14, 06:40 PM
I quite agree with rstripes advice. There are many options to consider. Also, dont necessarily always go for the name brand products like Schlage, Kwikset etc. Those manufacturers are the largest and most well known, but often their resi grade product is very poorly made. there are a number of competing (not so well known) brands that are so much better quality and offer substantial warranties.

To modify from the 2 lock setup to a single lock, there are options, like using Do-Jo renovator plates to fill unused holes. You might consider using Rim deadlatches like the Yale No.1. Then you can have everything you want in one lock, without an outside handle.

battery powered keyless locks may seen like a popular and modern product, but many are made in asian chop shops by children and the products feel placticky and cheap. Never go for a battery powered lock that doesnt have a mechanical key overide - you are asking to get locked out. If it is security from potential lock pickers or bumpers...forget Kwikset or SDchlage

Old 10-21-14, 07:02 PM
of course you might just want to use an inter-connected lockset