Do locksmith rates vary widely across the country ?

Old 01-22-15, 04:49 PM
Do locksmith rates vary widely across the country ?

I was down in Florida and needed some new door locks I bought, made to fit an existing key. I would bring the locks in to their shop, they would take it apart and repin the cylinder to fit my key. Two places I called said $8 to $9 per lock. Took it to the nearest place and they did it in less than 10 minutes. Now I'm in the DC area with the same requirement, actually I have the cylinder already out of the lock, and I'm getting prices of $30 to $45. For 5 minutes work. Are prices so much more in a larger city or did they want to take advantage? I viewed some online videos and figured out how to do it myself BTW.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-15, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Yes, they do vary that widely...and depends on the type of shop, overhead, etc. I had my house in VA re-keyed and it was $15 per lock, but the guy did all the removal and re-install. Showed up in a fully equipped van and did it on site. That was almost 20 yrs ago. Spoke with a locky here in small town AZ and he said it would be $20-25 per for the same thing now, but bringing them in would only be $10-12.

All depends on the area

Old 01-23-15, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
That is why the new locks that you can re-key yourself are so popular. They are more expensive to buy but often they can be less expensive than buying a standard lock and having it re-keyed.

Old 01-23-15, 11:36 AM
every company will have their own rates and they vary from location to location. There are average industry prices listed by some national industry magazines, but they are simply a guide and not a rule.

these guys wanting to charge $30+ to rekey cylinders might not be legitimate locksmiths. There are many rip-off merchants across the country posing as locksmiths.

legitimate locksmiths will probably charge in the $10-$20 range for rekeying....this does not necessarily include the labor for disassembly and reassembly.

In my geographic location, I charge $15.00 per keyhole to rekey. Often that will include my labor to remove and refit locks onsite.

Many people complain about locksmiths prices.....but let me ask you this...what is the cost to you for a so called locksmith to not do it correctly?

Old 01-27-15, 08:55 PM
That's way overpriced, even for that area. Labor costs generally reflect costs of living for a particular region and that means high costs up north and east and cheaper in the mid-west and south. Here in Texas I think the going rate is around $12 to $15 per cylinder, if you have the existing key, a little more if you don't.

Old 01-27-15, 09:11 PM
Additional note on labor fees: The cost to do a particular labor task should not vary considerably from one area to another, but the "service" or "trip" charge will vary considerably, as reflects the cost of living and circumstances to get to the service location.

For example, we charge $35 to go to a suburban location within 5 miles and $45 for most other locations in our metropolitan area, but to go downtown, have to pay to park, check in with security, take multiple elevators, etc, well it jumps to $90 then.

Old 01-29-15, 08:47 AM
I went to a customer just the other day to rekey her locks. She was surprised by how little I charged for the time I spent on site. I was on site for no more then 40 minutes total and only charged her my minimum rate $90.00 for rekeying locks and providing 3 keys.
She told me that 2 months ago, she had called another company when she was intoxicated one night, and they charged her $900 to gain entry when she was locked out. The tech from this "other" company was on site for 20 minutes total and completely destroyed her lock to gain entry.

(she said she would have called me, but didnt want me to see her intoxicated)

Old 01-29-15, 10:00 AM
I'm in a very low density area and the few Locksmiths that we have up here must also acquire and maintain some expertise in general Security and Surveillance systems as well as conventional locks.

If they didn't, there's no way they could make a living . . . . despite their willingness to be available 24/7.

Old 02-23-15, 07:26 AM
Just read in the paper that the Washington DC area has by far the highest cost of living of anywhere in the country, so OP's prices might be legit, but still seems high to me.

Old 02-23-15, 10:44 AM
I have colleagues in DC and Maryland and they charge pretty much on par with what we have been saying all along.

The scammers will use bait and switch tactics to enlist your business. They will quote low and charge high (extremely high).

Old 02-23-15, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
$95 trip charge which covered an hour on-site last time I called a locksmith (maybe a year or a little more ago).

Old 02-25-15, 08:39 PM
That seems pretty inexpensive considering the typical urban/suburban trip charge and the amount of labor for one hour. (Unless the hour starts when the trip starts). Most smithies quote the variable trip charge separately, depending on distance from shop, and an estimate for the described work to be done.

Old 02-26-15, 05:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I ran upon a guy who had locked his keys in his truck who wasn't from here, so he asked who to call. I called our locksmith (only one) and he was there in 15 minutes, popped the door in 15 seconds and charged the guy $30. The guy was from Atlanta, so he was expecting more than $100, and was pleasantly surprised at the charge.

Of course, as mentioned the locksmith office was 2 blocks away, so little travel time was clocked.

Old 02-26-15, 06:24 PM
Yeah, in a really small town you can't charge much when it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to get anywhere, but shoot, even Goober in Mayberry would charge more than that!