Unable to open unlocked front door

Old 02-21-15, 10:36 AM
Question Unable to open unlocked front door

My front door consists of a deadbolt lock and a door knob/handle, similar to this one at homedepot.

The lock works fine, but recently, the the latch attached to the door knob doesn't open, neither from inside nor outside.

I tried pushing the latch open w/ a flat screwdriver, a swiss army knife, and a regular thin knife, to no avail. I remove the door knob from the inside, and I couldn't figure out how to pull the latch. I also tried removing the whole thing, but the spindle is stuck and I can't pull the outside handle out.

To note, I don't know who the lock manufacturer is.
I also read some of the earlier threads after some google searches and no luck.

I am currently lost on what to do, and I was wondering if you are able to help me out before I end up calling a locksmith.

Here are some pics:

https://imgur.com/a/9JRKM

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-15, 10:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums. Can you not remove the handle from the lock? Try sliding the mechanism circled to the right with a screwdriver. Wiggle the door to allow movement in case it is stuck.

Name:  lock.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  24.5 KB

Old 02-21-15, 11:05 AM
Thank you for the welcome and the quick reply Chandler.

I tried what you said, but I am unable to move it at all. I tried putting some pressure on the door in different directions while doing it, no dice.

As for the handle, are you talking about the outside one? If so, I tried pulling it out earlier, but I couldn't either. It seems as if it's attached to the latch somehow.

Old 02-21-15, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Based on the patent number it may be a Schlage lock system.

Take a pair of needlenose pliers..... put the two tips where the red dots are and carefully slide that piece to the right. The door should open.

Name:  J7eTuoG.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  23.1 KB

At the point where you are now.... the outside handle should just slide out.

Old 02-21-15, 11:13 AM
Did you take the bottom screw out of the loop handle to the door? Look down from inside, and you will see the screw. It may have a button on it which will pry off. Will the outside handle actuate the square drive when you press on it?

Old 02-21-15, 11:39 AM
PJmax, I attempted doing this with 2 flat screwdrivers, didn't work.

Chandler, I don't see a bottom screw.

Here's a couple of other pictures from the bottom and the top:
http://i.imgur.com/HNbdpIf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H7loZLf.jpg

When I press on the outside handle, all it does is move that small piece of metal sticking out right above the spindle, but nothing else it seems.

Old 02-21-15, 11:41 AM
OK, take a pair of pliers and rotate that square spindle. The lock should move. It seems your connection from the thumb handle to the latch is inoperable.

Old 02-21-15, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
I doubt turning the square piece is going to work either. I'd imagine that slipped into a square recess in the interior handle.

Did the parts PJ and Larry suggested even move when you tried? Did they move and nothing happened or did they not move at all?

If it moves but the latch bolt into the frame doesn't, then it's become disconnected or broken inside and it will require more drastic means to remove.

Old 02-21-15, 11:59 AM
The square spindle rotates a few degrees and then stops.

It rotates the piece of metal right above it from left to right then it blocks.

Gunguy, the parts they suggested do not move at all.

Old 02-21-15, 12:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you push on the door itself, does it move a little as it compresses against the weather stripping? Have you tried putting the handle back on and turning it while putting your shoulder into the door. It may have had something get stuck in the frame or hinge area that is putting pressure on the striker causing it to bind.

I have a door that is hard to open every now and then, it is at the deadbolt and I have to do this to get the key to turn.

Old 02-21-15, 12:56 PM
OMG I managed to open it up. I pried open the piece of metal, managed to push down on the mechanism and then turn it and now it's open.

My next problem is removing the whole thing so I can install another one. The outside part doesn't just pull out.

Here's a couple of new pics.

Outside:
http://i.imgur.com/nQFONYH.jpg

Inside:
http://i.imgur.com/DPQnLKq.jpg

Old 02-21-15, 01:06 PM
Once you press that bent piece back to normal, the outside should just pull out. If not, that is why they invented hammers. Looks as if you have nothing to lose with this one.

Old 02-21-15, 01:10 PM
Hurray for hammers. I stabilized the latch w/ the screwdriver, and then hammerred the spindle out.

Thanks a lot. You guys were great help.

Now to install another handle before my house freezes.