Searching for pushbutton entry locksets

Old 02-24-15, 05:14 PM
Searching for pushbutton entry locksets

I have searched and searched for a maker of residential entry locksets that have the button on the interior knob that you push in to lock. I'm wanting something at a fairly cheap price as, the deadbolts I will be using are a grade 1. I'm searching for tulip style locksets in polished brass and available keyed alike. (brushed or antique brass would suffice). Can anybody direct me to a web page or suggest a manufacturer/model #?

Don't ask me why I want this style and suggest that I will get locked out often. We've used this type entry knob for years with no problem. They are simpler (and safer) than the kind that you have to turn the button... and they are my preference. I've ran across many forums with people suggesting that they get locked out with this type lockset. Well, I say, "Did you try to turn the knob before you closed the door to make sure it wasn't locked?" (Duh ). Most of the people complaining about such a lock probably had a kid in the house that pushed the button as a prank. In other cases, they probably had a door that swung against a wall and didn't even think about putting a spring door stop thingy on the baseboard to stop that. When you exit your house with this type lockset, you simply turn the handle and the button pops out. You have to push the button in to lock it before you close the door behind you. Hmmmm

Additionally, a tulip style pushbutton is a lot less likely to get bumped against and locked and I have no kids.

Anyway, if someone could help, it would sure be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-15, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I don't have a direct answer for your question but I moved your thread to the lock forum here where someone will be by to help you.

Those should be fairly easy to find though. I have two here on my house.

Old 02-24-15, 06:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Google Weslock. I believe that they have what you are looking for.

Old 02-24-15, 07:28 PM
Thanks Guys,

I'll try searching "weslock entry knob pushbutton" and see what I can find.

Old 02-24-15, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
You're looking for a pushbutton..... where the turn button is.... correct ?

Name:  knob.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  3.9 KB

I have two Schlage locksets where that piece can be turned or pushed in to lock.

Old 02-24-15, 09:17 PM
Yes PJ,

I wouldn't ever use a turn-button feature. It's so simple just to push a button... lol
I don't need anything high security/expensive. I researched the Weslock knobs a little and even $35 a lockset is a little pricey to me. I only paid $18 each for the grade 1 double cylinder deadbolts.

Old 02-25-15, 07:12 PM
Well, I found these locksets. Don't know if the style I want is pushbutton or if you can get them keyed alike. I'll have to call them.
Prograde Locks

Anybody happening thru lookin for stationary 2 3/4" backset might like these.
Progressive Cylindrical Entrance Lockset 2 3 4" Backset 477 3 KD 3 Keys Each | eBay
Again, I haven't asked if these are available keyed alike. The seller has more in a separate listing. I might buy a set to put on my shop later. Ewwww, ain't that purdy!

Old 02-25-15, 07:52 PM
The Schlage A series is still available in this function, but of course, not in your price range. You're looking for the cheapest of cheap imports and they can go under a dozen different names, but the design you're looking for mimic the almost 100 year old Schlage patent, and so will have that chassis appearance. Unfortunately most lock illustrations only show you the key side.

To narrow your search, I can only point out: On websites like the Prograde you linked, where the lockset illustration shows the key side only, but also shows a hint of the internal structure (chassis, main body between the knobs), any illustrations like Prograde's model 5762 and 5765, where you see minimal chassis structure, will be strictly turnbutton a la Kwikset design.

However, any lock appearing like the model 5851, where you see a cylindrical chassis structure, is usually a pushbutton or push-and-turn button. Usually, not always. Point being, at least you can eliminate illustrations showing the Kwikset designs in your search, and call about the cylindrical chassis types.

Again tho, the stuff selling for $5 to $15 is pretty junky, so don't be surprised if you're disappointed in the result.

Old 02-26-15, 02:31 PM
Yes rstripe,

I had that in my mind before I called about the 5762 locksets. I figured that they would be turn-button and, alas, they are. I didn't even ask about keyed alike. The 5851 are only available in stainless at this website. They are available in pushbutton but, they're stationary 2 3/4" backset.

I guess the original locks dad put in this house didn't have an adjustable backset (40 yrs ago). Seems to me that it would make more sense to set them at 2 3/4", more solid wood toward the edge. Oh well, I gotta deal with what i got. I have to replace my garage entry door eventually and, when I do, I'll install the locksets at 2 3/4".

I'm curious, do the locksets that have the push-and-turn buttons automatically unlock when you turn the knob to go out, or do you still have to turn the button back to the unlocked position? (I suppose there could be push-n-turn buttons that could be either way)

Just thought I'd share what I do with a double cylinder deadbolt after I install it. I take a high quality clear epoxy and fill/coat the screwheads. If they are concealed screwheads, I'd use an even higher grade epoxy, since clear wouldn't matter. That way it would at least possibly cause a little extra frustration for a thief if they came in through a window. I know nothing will stop a determined or pro thief. Also, I know this will cause a little more work for me if I have to remove them.

Yes, if I could find cylindrical 2 3/8 backset polished brass pushbutton locksets at a good price, I'd definitely consider them. Especially if they are grade 2 or 1.

The search continues.....

Old 02-26-15, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
You realize that in many places double cylinder deadbolts are not allowed in dwellings?

Old 02-26-15, 07:01 PM
A note on backsets for cylindrical prep locks:

Grade 1 entrance locksets are intended for commercial/industrial use and come standard with 2-3/4" BS, non-adjustable latches, with 2-3/8" BS optional for some brands, and often requiring a factory order. Doors intended for commercial use come prepared for 2-3/4"BS, so the need for 2-3/8" is rare.

Grade 3 Locksets are strictly for residential light duty, and until recent years only came in 2-3/8"BS, to match standard residential door prep. Some Grade 3's now have the adjustable backset latches included.

Grade 2 Locksets (Heavy residential, medium commercial), because they are the middle-ground compromise between heavy duty and light duty, are virtually all now available in both backsets. Even within Grade 2, quality can vary considerably depending on brand and chassis design. The lighter Grade 2's are what we call "Post" locks, and come with a single latch that will adjust to both backsets. The heavier Grade 2's use a cylindrical design and do not use adjustable latches; you must specify one backset or the other, but both are readily available.

For deadbolts, I think even many Grade 1's are now adjustable.

Old 02-26-15, 07:36 PM
To the other part of your question, there have been several button designs used over the years, but the most common on Grade 1 & 2 locks is the "Universal" button: You can push it in to lock the outer knob, and it will pop back out when you turn the inner knob to exit. On some models, closing the door will also pop it back out, (less chance of accidental lockout). This button also has a ridge, enabling it to be twisted 1/4 turn (after pushing it in), whereby the outer knob will stay locked all the time.

Some pushbuttons are smooth, but with 2 small holes instead of a ridge, to be twisted with a spanner tool. These are found mostly on commercial/hotel/motel properties.

Some older designs could only be locked by pushing AND turning.

On the old Weisers, the entire inside knob was pushed then turned to lock the outer knob.

Other early entrance locks used a separate turn button or pushbutton protruding from the trim rose.

With few exceptions, the locks in which you strictly turn the button to lock, must be manually turned back to the unlock position, (regardless whether the inner knob is also locked or not). There was at least one exception I remember many years ago, where the inner knob, if turned in one direction, also turned the button back to the unlock position.

Old 02-26-15, 09:34 PM
Gunguy 45,

I would never use a double cylinder in the locked position with people in the house (or a single cylinder for that matter as, they're higher off the floor). What CODES doesn't know won't hurt me. Besides, residential double cylinder deadbolts are commonplace in the stores here. I'll admit I have a little disrespect for authority. Stipulations by codes is one of my pet peeves. For instance, in my county, one can only have 1 unoperating vehicle on your property now. I could go on, but that's off topic...

A simple little LOUD switchable battery powered alarm that goes off if someone somehow bypassed the lockset while you were home would be a good addition. Might give you time to grab the old trusty...

rstripe,

Thanks, a lot of good information. I found the Progressive locksets in 2 3/8 backset with pushbutton. I've asked the seller if they're available keyed alike. It doesn't say if they're rekeyable. They probably are, being rated grade 2 commercial. Now, I'm going to have to ask if the button pops out on them when you push the latch in

Another thing I'm concerned about is how far the knobs extend from the door face. I have outer security doors as well. In the picture of the Progressive locksets, they look to protrude quite a bit.

Last edited by Daryl N; 02-26-15 at 09:41 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 02-27-15, 09:29 AM
The Meroni Combina Knobsets have the push button, you want. They are a little different to anything else on the market but are nouveau - modern style. They are available in many color combinations and finishes. They vary in price by color. The average cost is about $90 each. They would be considered Grade 2. They are simple to use/innate to operate. They are considered more ADA friendly and are well preferred by arthritis sufferers, who may have difficulties gripping a regular knob

PM me for details

Old 02-27-15, 08:19 PM
I don't think I've ever run across an entrance lock that cannot be re-keyed, altho there used to be a few el cheapo Grade 3's that used non-standard sized pins, but I think they all use standard pins now, meaning any smithy can key the locks alike.

Old 02-28-15, 10:07 AM
Well, I ran across a single grade 2 lockset made by Noblit in a 2 3/8"BS US3 tulip design and decided to grab it at $12.05. It is pushbutton. I can use it on one of my applications (house, garage or my shop/storage I'm in the process of building).

I've thought about it and I guess the push-n-turn locksets would suffice as my house entry knobs. I could just push the button at night and use the push-n-turn feature when I'm leaving my property. They would probably suffice for any of my applications for that matter (I think).

The seller of the Progressive locksets that I found, with 2 3/8"BS, said the buttons are (push or push-n-turn) and he can supply two keyed alike. The sellers' price is a higher ($16.20 ea. for two), but the price goes down if you buy more. I'm going to buy two and see how I like them as my home entry knobs.
Ball Knob Keyed Entry Door Lock Polished Brass Grade 2 2 3 8" Backset | eBay

My main concern is, if I'm leaving my property and I use the push-n-turn feature... then I come home, go in and inadvertently lay my keys down... then go back out the door to do something and close the door... will I be locked out? I guess I'll find out...

Thanks GlobalLocky, I don't think I'll shell out $90 a pop. No offence
I'm really not all that concerned with the quality/grade of my entry knobs. I just like the reduction in steps you have to take (convenience) that these old pushbutton locksets we've used for years have provided. I would do as suggested to me in another forum... just install passage knobs and use a slidebolt at night... but, that's still not what I want... I want a locking knob where, if I go shortly to a neighbors house, short walk/hike, working in yard away from that door, I can just push a button and feel a little more confident that some wanderer won't go in. I usually just leave my security door ajar (or switched to unlocked) in such cases. The number of keys I have to select the better . Guess I'm gettin lazy in my old age.

Sorry to write a book y'all....

Last edited by Daryl N; 02-28-15 at 10:50 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-28-15, 09:20 PM
The link you provided, while being described as a "Keyed Entry Lock" shows an image of a "Privacy Lock" and indicates this on the side of the box. A Privacy lock is for a bathroom or bedroom and comes with a simple poke tool to unlock. They are always cheaper than Entry locks, which come with a real key.

Apparently the seller doesn't know the difference.

Old 02-28-15, 09:23 PM
OK, I see the second image does show the Entrance lock. Just be sure that's the one you get!

Old 03-02-15, 02:38 PM
Well, the Noblit lockset I bought was a waste of time and money. Maybe I can resell it. When you push the button in and then push the latch in, the button pops back out. When you push the button in and turn it, the button stays in when you push the latch in. (You have to use something like a coin or edge of a key to turn the button). With the button in the push-n-turn position, when you use the key to turn the cylinder, the button stays in the pushed in position. (the inside knob can be turned in either button position). A lock-out waiting to happen.

I'd say the Progressive sets I ordered will be the same way. I'll just have to lose money and return them.

Without reading back through the thread, here is the operation I'm looking for. I noticed in my original post I didn't explain this....

The operation I'm looking for is... when you go to the door to go out... you turn the handle and the button pops out... if you're, say, going to the mailbox you just simply don't push the button in before closing the door... if you're leaving your property, you push the button and the button stays depressed when you close the door... thus, the knob is locked and you can then lock the deadbolt.

I'm beginning to think I'll never be able to find keyed entry knobs with this function without paying high dollar. I guess I'm just going to have to succumb to the cheap twist button locksets.

Old 03-02-15, 06:40 PM
You have the "Universal" button, as I described earlier....and if you have the chassis style I think you have, you can modify it to work as you want with a file and/or screwdriver.

Read my posts describing the difference between the "cylindrical" and "post" (or Kwikset) style chassis. I suspect you have the cylindrical chassis. If so:

Notice that during assembly (in your hand), the "T" shaped linkage on the latch must engage a jaw-like retractor in the lock body (chassis) so that turning the knob causes the retractor to pull in, bringing with it the latch. Notice also that PUSHING IN on the latch ALSO PUSHES IN on the retractor, causing the button to pop out (when locked).

Now, depending on the final design of this lock, you've got to determine whether it will be more appropriate to pry the jaws apart slightly with a screwdriver and/or to file the latch linkage adjacent to the "T". The idea is to modify it so that pushing in on the latch does NOT also push in on the retractor.

Without seeing details of the structure further, I can't tell you which method will work better. If I see a photo of the "T" stem linkage & retractor jaw, I'd know more. (Hold the latch in with your thumb to show as much of the "T" stem as possible)

Most clones copy the Schlage patent that use 2 different retractor jaw clearances to effect the 2 functions; other designs use 2 different "T" stem dimensions.

Old 03-03-15, 09:11 AM
as mentioned in an earlier post....the cheapest suggestion would be to use a Weslock entrance set.
the button is on the side of the inside handle, not in the handle itself.

The button that unlocks when the latch depresses, is a safety feature, designed to prevent you from locking yourself out (of the Noblit). But then you will be required to lock the lock from outside.

The Meroni Combina locks or unlocks from both sides of the door and is push button. Yes it is dearer than you have identified you want to spend. But remember, if you only want to pay peanuts, expect to get monkeys!

Old 03-03-15, 12:29 PM
other Meroni handles, specifically the Meroni Forma, have the push button feature inside and are very stylish too. They are not necessarily as expensive as the Combina or the Pigio.

Here are some of the colors...

They are available in a Kwikset keyway primarily....but also in a Schlage C keyway by special order.

Meroni Premiapri Forma

Last edited by GlobalLocky; 03-03-15 at 12:31 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-03-15, 05:00 PM
Well, now someone can go (Duh) at me.
Initially, I was testing the lockset by pushing the button in and just pushing on the retractor. I just attached the latch to the retractor and, VOILA!, the button does not pop out when you push on the latch!!! Learn somethin new every day.

Now, if I could just acquire another Noblit lockset like this one it'd be great. It is a good quality cylindrical lock. It was made in Taiwan but, I'd buy a Taiwan made tool in a heartbeat, as opposed to a Chinese made tool. The U.S., as well as Japan, has shared alot more technology with Taiwan. Most any tool I've found made in recent years from Taiwan has been very good quality. I guess if the Progressive locksets operate in the same manner, I'll just use them for the time being. Plus, if they do operate in the same manner, I'll probably buy a couple more in the 2 3/4"BS.

The knobs, button, latch plate, rosettes (escutcheons), as well as the collars are made of solid brass. The cylindical mechanism is stamped steel. Upon reasearch, I found that the Noblit company folded in the 1980's. I have a search for "Noblit lockset" saved in my "thebay" account. Maybe eventually someone will put another one up for bids. The model (item) number is 48168. If anybody has one of these Noblit locksets I'd sure like to have it.

Old 03-04-15, 01:10 PM
Yipee,

The Progressive locksets operate in the same way! They were set at left or right hand operation (have yet to figure out which is which). It was a pain but I finally got the keyways positioned correctly for my doors. At least they describe (although vague) how to perform the operation. The Noblit instructions don't even mention the procedure. It got too tedious for me so I ended up just whacking the knob with the palm of my hand and forcing it over the keeper, lol. Can y'all direct me to a "correct" illustration of handing of doors?

Another thing I'm curious about, the locksets are supposed to be able to be rekeyed, but the cylinder will not come out of the knob once removed (the Progressive sets don't state that they're rekeyable but, the mechanisms look identical to the Noblit, which does state "rekeyable"). Both locksets have knobs that are a two piece assembly, so I'm guessing you have to separate the two knob pieces. I'm not terribly concerned with the matter at the time but, if I should acquire another Noblit set, I "might" like to key them the same. I guess if that time comes, I'll just take the knob(s) to a locksmith. I'd probably scratch the heck out of `em trying to do it myself.

Hind sight's 20/20. I'm guessing I could have probably just bought the Progressive locksets with the 2 3/4"BS (now at $8.99) and went to a locksmith and purchased 2 3/8"BS springlatches, correct? What is the general/average price for a 2 3/8"BS cylindrical springlatch from a locksmith?

Old 03-04-15, 05:41 PM
1. Handing:
Stand on the OUTSIDE (or the keyhole side) of the door.
a) Door opens IN to LEFT: "LEFT HAND" door.
b) Door opens IN to RIGHT: "RIGHT HAND" door.
c) Door opens OUT to LEFT: "LEFT HAND REVERSE" door.
d) Door opens OUT to RIGHT: "RIGHT HAND REVERSE" door.

2. Most cylindrical chassis locks have 2-piece knobs; there's usually a cap or
sleeve that separates from the back side of the knob to allow the key
cylinder to drop out. Sometimes it's a tight fit. Use a blunt tool to tap on
the face of the cylinder which will jar the cap a bit so you can then use a
small screwdriver to pry the cap off evenly.

3. Latch prices are quite variable depending on new or used, grade, quantity
on hand, finish etc. A couple of bucks to $20 (A new Grade 1 can run much
more tho).

Old 03-04-15, 06:09 PM
Don't assume that just any brand Grade 2 latch will work with any Grade 2 chassis.

Most copy the Schlage design, but not all.

Old 03-09-15, 04:29 AM
Well, a word to the wise. On these cylindrical grade 2 locksets the outside (key side) rosette is adjustable on a threaded spindle. Be sure to back that rosette out toward the knob quite a bit before you mount the lockset, inner escutcheon plate and install the screws. I apparently didn't have the outer rossette backed off enough. When I installed the inner rosette, then popped the inner knob on, the hole where you push the keeper with the tool is buried.

First, I noticed the outer knob was sticking out further than the inner knob. That's when I discovered that the hole to depress the inside knob keeper wasn't visible. Now I'm going to have to fashion some kind of VERY SHORT phillips right angle screwdriver to be able to back the mounting screws out to readjust the lockset.

Anyway, I found these cylindrical tulip style locksets that look very similar to the the Noblit I bought. Only thing is, there's a flat rate shipping charge of $20. I wish that I'd found these to begin with. They do state that these are a brass "plated" lockset though, and only one key per unit.
Bargain Keyed Alike Entry Door Lock Hud REO Property $3.99 35241 55535 67767

Last edited by Daryl N; 03-09-15 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-10-15, 06:40 PM
Yes, on the cylindrical chassis locks the outer rosette is adjustable to accomodate doors from 1-3/8" to about 2" thickness. Generally, before installing, you hold the lock up to the latch hole, and using the outer rosette as a guage, adjust it so that the retractor is more or less centered over the hole. Trial & error is the best teacher.

Old 03-11-15, 05:01 PM
Yes rstripe, like I said before... learn somethin new every day.

Rather than foolin with tryin to make a tool, I contacted the seller. He said he can send me another interior rosette. I'll just cut the present one off or drill a hole in it to expose the keeper hole. I'm glad the rosette is solid brass and not plated steel! The brass collar behind the knob is probably not gonna be too pretty by the time I get through. It's costing me an additional $3 shipping to send the replacement rosette as well.

Now, if I could just acquire another Noblit tulip style I'd be set. The Progressive locksets are nice, I just prefer tulip. The ball knobs make me wanna go shoot some pool... LOL

Just a note.. The Progressive and Noblit are both Schlage SC1 keyway.

Thanks a lot you guyz for all your help (and attempts at helping) !!