How to create hole for door knob latch

Old 03-30-15, 01:46 PM
How to create hole for door knob latch

I picked up a door slab from Lowe's to see if I can hang a door myself. It has the hole for the doorknob, so I just need to chisel out space for the hinges. Or so I thought. The doorknob hole on this slab doesn't line up with the current jamb. My fiance says she likes the positioning on the slab better than the jamb, so I think I need a power drill with some kind of drill bit to make a new hole in the jamb for the latch? I've found plenty of YouTube videos on how to do the hinges on the door itself, but just one on how to drill a hole in the jamb for the latch. I'd like a second opinion. Also just in case she changes her mind, what would I need to drill out a doorknob hole in a blank slab?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-15, 03:04 PM
Lockset Tool

You will need this:

Shop DEWALT Bi-Metal Door Lock Hole Saw Kit at Lowes.com

Old 03-30-15, 03:14 PM
Never once seen a "slab" have a knob hole already in it.
Sure it was not a return?
How would they know where your latch was positioned?
A whole lot faster and easier to install a prehung door.

Old 03-31-15, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the tool recommendation!

I can see why people say installing pre hung is easier. I tried chiseling the hinges yesterday right after posting this and found it more difficult than expected. I think I got it though. I wasn't using the right type of chisel to start with, but once I got this

Buck Bros. 3/4 in. Wood Chisel-120105BC - The Home Depot

it was much easier. My current hinges have virtually no room for error, so I'm hoping that I can find hinges with some tolerance, say 1/4" or 1/8". I swear my misalignment is only 1/16" or so.

They had a whole pile of the slabs I got, so I'm pretty sure it's not a return. I was hoping the latch location was standardized, but either it isn't, or my condo is funny (in a lot of instances we find it's the latter). We're doing 5 doors, so even with the cost of a few new tools and whatnot, we should save a decent amount of money doing slabs instead of pre hung. Plus, if we do pre hung the jamb would have to be repainted to match, and painting is my fiance's job. She'd rather I do all the work haha.

Josh

Old 04-01-15, 08:42 AM
All prefabricated door "slabs" have the hole pre-drilled

Old 04-01-15, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
No they don't Global. Many stock bare slabs don't have the holes drilled. Some do, some don't. It really depends a lot on location. I stocked plenty of pallets of composite raised panel doors and we didn't carry any in the whole district that were drilled. So I can understand why some people have never seen one.

My local store has both.

Old 04-02-15, 12:41 PM
fair enough.
I believe they can be ordered without pre-drilled holes, but normally doors come pre-drilled