Door knob sticking

Old 05-21-15, 07:42 PM
Door knob sticking

Hello. Here's doorknob working with:

When the door is closed and we try to open it, sometimes the following metal piece does not fully come out of the recessed part that it fits into when the door is closed:

The metal piece from a different angle (front of the door angle):

The recess, or niche, that it goes into. Bottom one:

The aforementioned metal piece does not retract all the way when I turn the handle, irrespective of direction. IDK if that's part of the problem. See:

At any rate, how do I fix this is that I don't have to fiddle w/ the doorknob to get it to move that metal part far enough out of the recess so that I can open the door freely?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-15, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
I approved your post with the pictures.

It looks like that lockset is fairly old and could probably use a replacement.

Old 05-21-15, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Loosen the screws and pull both sides of the knob up as high as it will go, then retighten. It looks like the latch is either way crooked or broken. I don't see the half-moon security lockpin, it could be jammed inside or just plain broken... if so, I bet you just need to replace the latch.

Kwikset, if I'm not mistaken. You can buy just the latch if you can't afford the whole entry set. A latch is like $5. You will want model Kwikset 1825-18.

Name:  31gzHWVdXPL._SL500_SR100,100_.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  1.8 KB

Old 05-22-15, 08:19 AM
I raised the doorknob up. Didn't work. Here is a closer picture of that metal piece. Note the highlighted part:

Is it supposed to be in there like that? In any event, based on this additional picture, should I just forge ahead and try to replace the latch and/or entry set?

If so, could I get some more detail instructions, or at least a link to an applicable video? Thanks.

Old 05-22-15, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
You will remove the two screws you had previously used to slide the knob up. Once the screws are out the two knobs will just fall out so make sure you hold the knob on the opposite side from the screws so it doesn't fall.

Once the two knob assemblies are off it's easy to see the latch. Yours is just a press in so you would need light pressure to push it out of the door where the lockset was. Be careful so as not to cause the wood to chip on the side of the door. You could use a screwdriver as a wedge between the latch and the door to push it out.... where the red line is drawn.

Name:  latch_kwikset-300x129.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  4.8 KB

Kwikset video

Old 05-22-15, 09:38 AM
See if the screws are to tight as others had suggested. I had a pain an arce front door do this. I sprayed it with Canola "cooking spray". Twist the door knob while spraying the plunger. Works better then WD40 and other lubes. Still is working great. Sprayed it a few months ago.

Old 05-22-15, 10:02 AM
But they said to raise the knob up and retighten the knob. If anything, they made is sound like it was too loose.

Old 05-22-15, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
The part you have circled should not be stuck inside the door. Take the handles off and pull the latch out to see if its broke.

Old 05-22-15, 11:06 AM
I took the doorknobs off. Here is the latch. What kind do I need?

I can't get it out. There is no plate on the front of the end of the door where the latch comes out of the door. Just a round metal ring that is really low to the door. See:

So:

1. How do I take out this latch?

2. What kind do I need exactly? It doesn't look like the one above.

3. Anything special to do when I get the right part?

Thanks.

Old 05-22-15, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
The replacement latch appears to be universal. You can use it without the plate.

Just use a screwdriver, where the red line is, to slide the latch in the direction of the yellow arrow.

Name:  100_2262.jpg~original.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  43.8 KB

Old 05-22-15, 11:57 AM
Here's what came out. One side:

The other:

Just go to hardware store and ask for one of these? Is the metal "crown" on the latch built into the latch?

Thanks.

Old 05-22-15, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
It doesn't look like all the parts are there. Is something still in the door ?

I thought it was a Kwikset 81826-001 but on further investigation is matches the adjustable latches used by Master Lock.

A hardware store should be able to match it for you.

Old 05-22-15, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
Oh my gosh, read the answers you've gotten.
You will want model Kwikset 1825-18.

Old 05-22-15, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think it's a Kwikset part. It matches Master Lock exactly. Can't tell if they are interchangeable.

Old 05-22-15, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
Could be, PJmax...he should take the whole thing to the store.

Old 05-22-15, 02:28 PM
Went to hardware store. Said was irregular. So sent to locksmith. This is what I got, which seems to match:

Other side:

How to install? Just put it straight in through the hole on the side of the door? Or should I angle it in through the big hole where the doorknob was?

Also, should the curved black end of the latch be flush with the far end of the big doorknob whole that is opposite the smaller whole that the latch sticks out of?

Finally, what about the screws? Do I put the doorknobs on, whole them in place, then screw in from the outside of the interior doorknob? Or is there another, less intuitive but proper way?

Thanks!

Old 05-22-15, 02:37 PM
Yikes. I was fooling around w/ the new latch, trying to see if it fit, and this metal piece flew out of it:

I hope I didn't break it. It still adjusts, but that silver piece had to have served some function.

Old 05-22-15, 03:20 PM
Disregarded the metal thing because wasn't in other latch. Then GOT IT!

What a sense of empowerment.

Thank you everyone for responding.

Old 05-22-15, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
If the new latch is working ok then you're all set. Possibly that piece of metal was from the old latch. When you pushed the new one in it knocked the piece from the mounting hole.

Good job.

Old 05-22-15, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
If I recall, that piece is removed to change the backset to 2 3/4".