Instant Removable Security Bars

Old 05-30-15, 12:24 AM
Instant Removable Security Bars

Hi,

I am looking for something like this:

Removable Security Bars. LockABar Removable Window Security Bars

Is this legal in US? I noticed the same type are mostly sold in UK.

I am planning to install it on a window that is 8wx5h feet and preparing for zombies. Ok, not zombies but I am planning to install for my mom's house.

Last edited by WRDIY; 05-30-15 at 02:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-15, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator
Well, I dunno about removable, but there are plenty of hinged types that meet code for egress if required in your area. I doubt anything that takes a key (like in your link) would pass here. Unfortunately, the ones I remember that could be easily opened were pretty ugly since the release mechanism and thus the bars are on the inside.

I've seen some online that mount on the outside with the release going through the wall, but they were still ugly.

You said 8Wx5H...this is in feet I presume? I'd maybe look at the storm films that can be professionally applied that would prevent someone from breaking the glass. That and a simple extra lock (if an operable window) would prevent most break-ins.

Old 05-30-15, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
You said 8Wx5H...this is in feet I presume? I'd maybe look at the storm films that can be professionally applied that would prevent someone from breaking the glass. That and a simple extra lock (if an operable window) would prevent most break-ins.
Yes, that is in feet.

I saw the film during my research. Problem is, film is only operable when the windows are closed. Plus, Milgard Windows will void the warranty if film is placed on them. I am looking bars so that she can leave the windows open.

Old 05-30-15, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What other means of egress does she have available? Locking anything with a key that can be difficult to locate in an emergency won't pass. Leaving the key in the unit won't deter anyone, so it's catch-22.

Old 05-30-15, 04:00 AM
You asked if it's legal. In terms of a public place, no. In a private home, why not. Is it safe? I think not. There are better methods. Wire glass for instance (where wire is imbedded within the glass pane).

Old 05-30-15, 04:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Norm, I remember those!!! The little windows in the elementary school classroom doors that you couldn't even put a cat through?? Why was that?

Old 05-30-15, 04:51 AM
Wire-inserted glass is for fire safety. It allows a window that can be seen through (so you won't smash into someone on the other side of a door when opening) and yet it won't burst out during a fire. It is almost as ugly as bars in my opinion.

There was a house about halfway between where I now live and where I used to live that had all the outside windows covered in burglar bars as well as a security door at the front entrance. The yard had a chain link fence as well. This was on the corner of a through road that saw lots of traffic and every time I drove by I asked myself why the owners didn't just put up a sign reading Money and Valuables Inside. A few years ago the bars disappeared and now the house doesn't look any different than any of its neighbors.

My feelings on the subject is to make your home and yard to blend in with those of your neighbors as much as possible, maybe just a little bit shabbier. Any prospective burglar will likely pass it by looking for something that is more likely to have more valuable contents. Keeping people from being able to see inside from the street is also a plus. It doesn't need to be obtrusive, simple sheer curtains can fuzz up the image enough to make details almost disappear from a distance.

Old 05-30-15, 10:14 AM
Hi everyone,

Wire-Inserted glass won't work because it will be in the similar situation as Film recommended by GunGuy45. If the windows are open, it defeats the purpose of Wire-Inserted or Film.

Safe? I agree that in a case of emergency, it would be more difficult to get out. However, this maybe the only window that will have security bars while the rest won't because the rest are closed most of the time. This is more to deter cutting the screen and just enter when the windows are open. Fire release would be great but not completely necessary since there are other windows nearby that can be opened.

Old 05-30-15, 01:34 PM
What kind of security are you looking for? How about something like Simplisafe with or without live monitoring. Flexible, and movable. No contracts, quit whenever you want but the system will still work.

Old 05-30-15, 02:43 PM
You asked if it is legal. In most jurisdictions, it is not, due to no "quick release" mechanism. As with most residential code violations, what is not seen is not inspected, but bars are seen from outside, and if there have been any high-publicity fires involving bars in your area, city inspectors may be more vigilant. The worst that can happen is they tell you to remove them. Other than that, it's a judgement call on your part. For example, are you and the occupants ok with the requirement to use the key in a hurry to escape a fire if need be? Even with the key hung on a hook just to the side of the window, can all occupants operate it quickly? Needless to say, were there to be injury or loss of life due to bars in a fire, guess who's liable?

Old 05-30-15, 02:54 PM
The safety issue will also depend on whether or not you intend to bar all or few windows. I have non-removable bars on 2 bedroom windows that are vulnerable to hidden areas of my back yard. However, each bedroom also has another window that faces the street and is not barred. So the safety vs. security issue in this case is acceptable to me.