Deadbolt won't come apart

Old 07-13-15, 11:52 AM
Deadbolt won't come apart

Trying to change out cheap single-cylinder GateHouse deadbolts on this house. The problem is I can't get the old deadbolt off. It has two screws, and I take those off and the inside half comes out easily, but the rod that goes through the center seems to be stuck The rim on the outside is not painted on or stuck, it's that rod. It seems to be jammed into the cylinder so that it won't come out, or does it maybe have something else I have to remove?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-15, 11:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

There are also 2 screws holding the plunger in place but that should prevent the deadbolt from splitting apart. Have you used any force, like a light tap with a hammer?

Old 07-13-15, 12:13 PM
My situation is that I have a landlord who likes to come into my house when I'm not here and poke around without notice. He's bipolar, and violent, and I'm moving on Saturday because of his insanity. He's threatened to come toss my stuff out into the street, and I want to change the locks until I'm gone and then put them back on when I leave, and I don't want to damage the old locks. I'm not very good at this stuff. I'm used to it being an easy switch.

I know how to do this, it just won't come apart. I'll try to take pictures and post them so you can see what I'm dealing with.

Old 07-13-15, 01:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect it was installed before the paint was cured and has a slight bond holding it tight. A slight tap with a hammer shouldn't damage anything but might be enough to dislodge it. Force is ok as long as you keep your brain in gear and don't go to far

Old 07-13-15, 01:50 PM
The metal is not stuck to the paint. It's the inside that's stuck -- that rod that goes through from one side to the other is stuck in the slot it goes through. I'll try again tomorrow. I'll spray it with WD40 and then try tapping it to dislodge it.

Old 07-16-15, 10:07 AM
try loosening the edge bolt screws, to take pressure off the tailpiece.