S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door Knob not functioning properly

Name:  IMG_0140.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  16.9 KBName:  IMG_0141.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  15.2 KB

Hello everyone. I am a low level DIY individual who is having a door knob issue. The door knob rotates counter and clockwise and I feel something "click" at about the halfway point of the turn but the mechanism doesn't disengage from the door jam. The door opens inward and the photos are of the outside of the room. There are no holes, pins, or screws on the knob

I have read other posts with suggestions such as a credit card or using a small screwdriver to push a pin in and pop the knob off, but none of that has worked or is not applicable to this knob. I have pulled the knob out as far as I can and there is a tiny "button" in the slit but I have used a pin to push on it and pull on the knob with no results.

This room stores the Halloween items so I am trying to get in there. I am not opposed to kicking in the door as it is cheap, but I do not want to damage the frame and I would like to not have to replace the lock AND the door. Any further suggestions about how to get the knob off? Thank you!

Old 10-03-15, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,474 Votes on 1,362 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's just a passage lockset...... no actual key needed..... correct ?
More than likely there are two screws thru the escutcheon plate on the other side.

Old 10-03-15, 04:48 PM
S
That is correct, there is no key. There are two screws on the other side but I can't get into the room to get access to them.

Old 10-03-15, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,474 Votes on 1,362 Posts
Then you will probably have to break the knob off with a hammer.

When you undo the screws from the other side..... the knob and escutcheon on your side pulls
out.

If the door opened out you could have pulled the hinge pins.

Old 10-03-15, 06:21 PM
S
Thank you for the advice. I will commence the hammer time.

Old 10-04-15, 09:15 PM
R
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
If you're still having difficulty, another method is to use a straight razor or utility knife to score the paint (so it won't peel) along the corner where the door stop joins the door frame. These stops are usually applied with thin construction staples and by using a wide chisel you can usually coax the stop away from the frame an eighth inch or so, to allow you to insert a kitchen knife and push the latch in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: