Mortise lock stuck - wont work

Old 12-24-15, 11:04 AM
Cool Mortise lock stuck - wont work

Name:  broken door.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  45.5 KB

Meery Christmas, I locked myself into the living room and attempt to opened the door by sliding a card, however it was not possible. I then tried to break the wooden part to uncover the latch and it is uncover at the moment but I am now not able to slide it open.
It is Christmas time and I wont be able to ask for professional help until next Monday, it is so embarrassing the state of the door at the moment!! I got a drill but I have not idea where to drill.

If somebody has an idea what shall I do it would be greatly appreciated.
Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Mandy2005; 12-24-15 at 12:10 PM. Reason: urgency
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-15, 12:05 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I couldn't see any details in your picture so I enhanced it. I'm not the pro here but maybe someone passing thru will recommend a fix. Trying to figure out what the wire is.

Did the knob break off or did the lock just get stuck ?
Is this is an outside door ?
Is there also a dead bolt that locks ?

Old 12-24-15, 12:19 PM
thanks for your reply it is reassuring . This Is an internal door. I put the wire to figure out were the latch was located. 1 was able to enter the other part through the balcón window and 1 will Send a pic of the inside

Old 12-24-15, 12:28 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... passage door. Did it just have a knob or is it a lock too ?

Old 12-24-15, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
I would turn the knob. If the knob doesn't turn, turn the lock 1/4 turn then try the knob again.

Old 12-24-15, 01:56 PM

here in the pic, the door from inside.
The knob doesnt move much
Name:  20151224_212054-3.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  22.3 KB

Old 12-24-15, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Do you understand that the bottom hole (below the knob) is usually a thumb turn (or keyed lock) that locks the door and prevents the handle from turning? Turn it 1/4 turn, either left or right and see if it unlocks the door.

Old 12-24-15, 02:04 PM
I fear there is no easy solution to this, and due to the urgency you may have already solved your problem by brute force. But in case you still have time to consider a few ideas, I'll present them:

A) I will assume you are familiar with the operation of the thumb-turn or key cylinder the was removed from the lower hole. On some locks this operates a deadbolt, independently of the spring-latch (which you have chipped away the wood to reveal), and on other locks there is an interconnection between the deadbolt and spring-latch, which, when the deadbolt is thrown, will also lock the outer knob/lever. I assume you have ascertained the deadbolt is unlocked.

B) Does the knob/lever (when fastened to the spindle) turn the normal amount (about 45 degrees) with the normal amount of resistance, but does not retract the spring-latch? If yes, the interconnection to the latch has broken and you will have to force the latch back using external force by whatever means.

C) Does the knob/lever not turn at all? Can you see even the slightest amount of movement of the latch when you attempt to turn knob/lever? If yes to the first, and especially the second question, the latch is binding in the strike plate and the usual advice would be to use a pry-bar or large screwdriver or the like to slip under the door such that you can pry up on the door while turning the knob/lever. Pushing the door in the direction of its stop can also relieve the binding. It is helpful to have 2 people to do this. Good luck and Merry Xmas!

Old 12-24-15, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
You might be able to pop the hinge pins out and get the door open that way. Not sure... can't see that in the pictures. That doesn't work all the time because the barrel of the hinge is often in the way and prevents the door from getting past it. But thought it might be worth mentioning.

Old 12-24-15, 02:11 PM
I just saw your second pic, but it reveals no further clues. As Xsleeper and I have suggested, make sure the deadbolt is in the unlocked/retracted position. And since you have now said the knob doesn't turn much, and we'll assume the deadbolt is unlocked, it points more to a binding latch. In addition to prying up on the door you can try prying on the edge right next to the latch, and by flexing the door away from the frame repeatedly, while holding constant turning force, the latch should "walk" back, little by little.

Old 12-24-15, 02:19 PM
The hinge pin removal trick works great if you have a), removable pins (few residential hinges use non-removable pins) and b), you have more than 1/8" gap between door and frame on the latch side, to clear the knuckles. Even if the gap is smaller, with a little muscular persuasion, that still may be your only option if the previous advice doesn't work. A helper is handy here if it's a heavy door.

Old 12-24-15, 02:24 PM
Wink Merry Christmas Helpful People

Thanks very much
I had use pure brute force, however it has not unlocked. I dont think it is locked, it is only the upper latch that is not retrieving. The bottom lock is not moving either but it is not locked.
The advice sounds good, however I am not that clever and may take time to read and understand the technical words.
I am having a nice Christmas with you guys, thanks

Old 12-24-15, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
Here is a picture of what you could try. Pictures make more sense than words sometimes.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._REMDOO_01.JPG
Name:  FH07APR_REMDOO_01.JPG
Views: 1388
Size:  18.9 KB

If you have the type of hinge pins that have a cap on the bottom (old style) you may need to just tap the top cap of the hinge pin upward with a screwdriver and hammer.

If you can get the hinge pins out, you would need to pry the door over to get one half of the hinge past the other.

Last edited by PJmax; 12-24-15 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 12-24-15, 02:52 PM
I tried my luck with the hinges, good idea, however the hinges are enclosed, they are only 2 parts and if I had force I could possible detach the door.
I would need an extra paar of hands. I can not make noise now anyway I will have to wait till tomorrow to make another try.
Sweet dreams with a Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-15, 05:42 AM
Lock

The latch may be binding against the strike plate. Try applying pressure to the door and turning the latch at the same time. Try this from the other side if it does not work the first time.

Old 12-25-15, 07:37 AM
thanks lovely people! after abit of a rest from my Sickness l tried again ... ..your sugestions, got a Knife to go around the Latch and it open, unfortunately the latch is not moving so I will have to replace the part or the whole mortice cannot close the door again till it is fixed! now I will have to put also a Wood prostetic and paint in top but the door needed it anyway . Very glad to be part of you ! thanks again