New HandleSet Doesn't Fit

Old 04-07-16, 12:03 PM
New HandleSet Doesn't Fit

I removed a 27 year old handleset (Schlage/Dexter) from my front door. I purchased a new Schlage handleset(F 360 Camelot single cylinder) but the distance between the lock and the bottom of the handleset is approximately 3/16" greater than the old one, so it doesn't fit properly. I've searched for handlesets with a smaller distance, but no luck. I'll provide more info and photos if this will help as I'm not sure that I've explained this properly or not. Thank you, Larry C

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-16, 12:31 PM
I think we are going to need a picture to understand the exact problem. I thought you meant the distance between the deadbolt and the thumb latch, but that's a two piece handleset so it cant be that. So post a pic or two please.

Old 04-07-16, 12:46 PM
. I have a pic of the 2 handles side by side along with a pic of the door. The bottom pic of the handle more accurately depicts where the screws from the 2 handles are in relationship to each other (couldn't figure out how to delete the top photo). I said lock in first post, but I meant the handle latch..sorry about that.

Attached Images    

Last edited by tch7198; 04-07-16 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-07-16, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Kind of looks like you need to drill a new hole for the bottom screw since your new handle is longer than the old one. A decorative escutcheon behind the new screw might be big enough to cover the old hole.

Old 04-07-16, 03:01 PM
I was thinking that same thing about drilling another lower hole....I thought maybe that I should plug it with a dowel and redrill lower. I'm a bit hesitant to do this(as I've never tried this before) so I want to hear whatever advice I can get on this forum before I proceed. Thanks for input.

Old 04-07-16, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
I thought maybe that I should plug it with a dowel and redrill lower
+1 .

Old 04-07-16, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Now that i can see a larger picture, it kind of looks like the larger rose on the new handle will cover the old hole.

Old 04-08-16, 03:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Instead of finding a dowel rod to fit hole I use stick matches and wood glue. I stuff as many matches in hole with glue on them. Break off match head. I tap last one's in with a hammer to get a tight fit. Works on ant hole in wood.

Old 04-08-16, 06:22 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll be doing this on the weekend and I will post my result when I'm done. Thanks again. This site is AWESOME!!!