Abandoned GE Supra lock box

Old 04-11-16, 05:00 PM
Abandoned GE Supra lock box

When I bought this property a few months ago they had this GE Supra lock box on the door.

The day I closed I removed the locks and installed my own locks. I assumed the realtor would get in touch with me to get the lock box back, nope. I called them after a few weeks...hey what about the lock box? and the sign out front? If you don't come get them I will have to dispose of it. They said go ahead. So I took down the for sale sign and cut short the 4X4 post and used it as a mail box post instead.

Now I have the original lock set and the Supra box around the collar.

Is there a way to open this Supra lock so I can reuse the lock somewhere else one day? Or is there a way to disconnect the lock handle from it's collar to free the lock box? If it's easy to do I would like to have an extra set of locks around...if not no big deal then I'll toss the whole thing out.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-16, 05:07 PM
If you have the key to the old lock you should be able to remove the door knob and free it from the lockbox. Usually you have to insert the key and turn it part way and then you can press in the knob release button. Sometimes you need a paper clip to insert in a small hole to press the release.

Otherwise...why not stop by the realty office and have them remove the lock box?

Old 04-11-16, 05:11 PM
Temporarily Suspended
There are web sites that explain how to open it if you can't get the key or combo, from the real estate. Google 'open supra lock box'.

Old 04-11-16, 08:21 PM
That looks like a Kwikset Tylo lock, in which the knobs are permanently swaged onto the roses, and so there would be no poke hole or retainer pin. These locks are the cheapest of the cheap, and as the only way to remove the lockbox is to cut it off or pry the plastic shrouding off (probably not easy), it's not worth the trouble, unless you want to keep the lockbox chassis as a souvenir.

Old 04-13-16, 02:44 PM
Yes I really don't need the lock I have already installed new locks. I agree it is not worth the trouble to salvage it...it is going into the trash.

Old 04-18-16, 02:03 PM
The GE Supra box there uses a magnetic coded fob and is coded individually. Agents contact MLS to get the code for a property to get the key out. If you know an agent who has the fob, they can unlock it for you. I can tell you from experience that these boxes are VERY hard to bypass or open without the fob.
There is a way however. You will need a very heavy rare earth magnet.

Old 04-18-16, 02:30 PM
Group Moderator
My first thought was a Sawzall with a wrecking blade.

Old 04-18-16, 02:41 PM
an Abra hack saw might do the trick. They'll cut thru anything almost or just take an angle grinder to it!