Not a door knob but a padlock type queston

Old 06-11-16, 01:12 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not a door knob but a padlock type queston

Help,

Without getting into too much detail here is my problem. Our small, 23 homes neighborhood has a gate into an adjacent golf course, NOT at the main entrance but on the 2nd fairway. For liability and other reasons we want to secure the gate, but still allow the 4 homeowners in our neighborhood to access the course. The problem is that about a dozen people who live close by drive through here to get to the course rather than going the long way around.

When we discussed doing this one neighbor said that 12-15 years ago they did this and others would just break or cut the lock so the neighborhood gave up on it. We (the managing board) said we would just get one of those locks like they use on the hasps of U-Store-It buildings and U-Haul trailers where there's no ready access to the bolt.

One PITA neighbor called me the next night and said he would just get duplicate keys made for anyone who asked him for one. (Note, this guy is a bit of an ash hole)

Does anyone know of any type of padlock that might have a key that would be "somewhat" expensive to duplicate? Getting a key with a "do not duplicate" on the fob doesn't work, that's not a law, just a suggestion. I thought about the "barrel" type of keys that were used on vending machines but I'm not sure if those are made in a padlock style.

Any suggestions from the world wide experts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stewie

Old 06-11-16, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
There are many padlock guards/shields on the net. Just search those terms to find them.

A better option might be a hockey puck padlock which has no exposed shackle.

A padlock keys that can not be duplicated would likely need to be purchased from a locksmith. They will have the special equipment to make the keys to fit/operate the special lock.

Old 06-11-16, 02:21 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
What about an electronic lock? I have a fob to get in and out of my office and the landlord can monitor my usage of it, change my permissions and even turn off my access at will.

Old 06-11-16, 03:04 PM
S
No exposed shackle! That's the term I was trying to think of. The closest locksmith to my house is about 30 miles away so I'm going to gather information and I'll be in their general neighborhood next Thursday. I'm just concerned about a key that is not easily, or cheaply, reproduced.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-11-16, 03:12 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Your first problem of folks cutting the chain or lock off is simply a matter of getting a bigger lock & chain. The biggest padlocks and chain commonly available are hard to cut even with 6 foot bolt cutters, and not many petty thieves carry these around in their trunk. The old saying applies here: "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link", in that, a lock & chain larger than a certain size, and a would-be trespasser will find it easier to jump over or otherwise find another way in.

Your second issue is unauthorized duplicate keys, solved by purchasing said large padlock from a locksmith who is a dealer for one of the high-security manufacturers with registered keys. These locks are very difficult to pick open, and keys can only be obtained from that locksmith, (or, depending on the level of security you choose, other locksmiths) with the authorization form and in some cases, a particular signature. Your biggest problem here may be deciding who or how many would be authorized to get additional keys.

Old 06-11-16, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
The biggest padlocks and chain commonly available are hard to cut even with 6 foot bolt cutters,
Or a battery operated angle grinder, although that would tend to draw attention.

Old 06-11-16, 03:27 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Does the condo association own the golf course or vice versa? If not, then why is there a gate anyway? If the course is separate from the condo association then the course should lock the gate and distribute NO keys.

Make an exception for some and you have problems.

Old 06-11-16, 03:34 PM
R
Just read your last post. "No exposed shackle" is ideal if you have the correct type of hasp or latch that will accept one of these locks....many times, the problem is that the hasp or receptacle for the padlock is not very strong and a big padlock either won't fit, or is a waste of money if the hasp can be pried off easily. Using a chain, you can match the size of the links with the size of the shackle (no "weak links"). Make sure the padlock shackle is at least as thick or thicker than the chain, (but not by much) so an attempt to cut would more likely be made on the chain which, if successful, can then be re-used, albeit shorter by one link. I don't know your security level required, but chain links approaching 1/2" thick with high Rockwell Hardness numbers may not be avail. at big box stores, but a full line locksmith can source this item.

Old 06-11-16, 04:09 PM
R
Before committing too much money on a solution to the gate, be sure and evaluate the entire length of the fence, including the TYPE of fence, as it may require only modestly increased security at the gate, to expose a new "weak link" elsewhere along the fence.

Old 08-19-16, 08:46 PM
there are multiple brands of restricted keyways that can virtually prevent unauthorised key duplication. Or padlocks that operate on a ace type key (coke machine key/harley davidson etc)

a good quality padlock to consider is a master pro series padlock.

your locksmith can provide these for about $40. they come in shrouded or close shackle versions too.

Meroni make a Luccotto padlock that is very different and stainless steel to prevent sawing or cutting

Or, if you want to spend a bit more, you could consider a knock-n-lock padlock that has no keyhole and operated by a special fob.

many options to consider. for more details PM me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: