Can keypad be installed?

Old 07-28-16, 09:45 AM
Can keypad be installed?

Can I install keypad onto this lock or entire lock has to be replaced?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-16, 08:08 PM
I'm not aware of a handleset lock (what you have) that has a built-in battery operated, self-contained (presumably what you're looking for) keypad...however, seems like a new keypad lock appears on the market every day now, as they're gaining in popularity. If you like the style and function of what you already have, you can always add a keypad deadbolt, such as Schlage's BE series. I think you can get them in brushed chrome finish. You would install it several inches above your existing deadbolt, and it would give you the flexibility of locking either deadbolt by itself, or both for double the security. It would also be your cheapest way.

If you really would rather replace what you have, you're going to have to first consider the existing door "prep" (holes shape and location). The photo doesn't show the door edge, which would indicate the prep, but I think I can just barely see a separate spring-latch and separate deadbolt, indicating two "cylindrical" preps, rather than a "mortise" prep, (where both latch and bolt project from the same internal lock case). Dealing with this scenario, I doubt you'll find anything that will fit right into both of these holes. Even if you find something workable, with minor door modification, it may not look too aesthetically pleasing. If it's a standard mortise prep, (again, doesn't quite look that way) you'd have some definite possibilities.

BTW, the old Simplex mechanical pushbutton locks are still available as an auxiliary deadbolt function, as well as a "nightlatch" function, if you want to keep it simple and inexpensive, but of course, you only have one code.

Other possibilities involve Low-voltage AC powered devices, but these add cost and complications, mostly suited to commercial installations.

Old 07-28-16, 08:18 PM
You might also check with the lock manufacturer...If the key cylinder is original to the lock, the brand name would pertain to the lock as well, and do I read "Baldwin" in your photo?? If so, they may offer a solution. They're a well-known producer of high-end residential locks.

Old 07-28-16, 08:29 PM
Thank you, R.
yes, it's Baldwin and it does have a spring latch and a dead bolt and I do not like the lock. Simply do not, have no rational explanation.
Reason I need keypad is son keeps coming inside via garage door, running it up and down every time, as he does not have main key. He is known to lose keys so...
I'd rather add a keypad and give him code.
I'll contact Baldwin, of course, they might have exect fit. if not, I'll add 2nd deadbolt above it with keypad, like you recommended. Then use main lock as auxiliary.

Old 07-28-16, 08:32 PM
Old 07-29-16, 03:56 PM
There you go...You might check the condition of your door finish underneath your existing lock, as the new one won't cover the same "footprint" and could be unsightly...oh, and this particular model you've shown is handed, so be sure to match the handing of your door: If door open in to the right, it's a Right Hand door. In to the left, it's Left Hand. Logical enough.

Old 07-29-16, 05:52 PM
Mine is right handed. Need to take faceplate off to take a looksy.
That's hell of expensive lock too.

Old 07-31-16, 03:17 PM
Correct. Baldwin ain't cheap. But hey have a helluva selection.

Old 07-31-16, 03:22 PM
Donno.
$140 deadbolt addition with keypad will serve the purpose at quarter price.

Old 07-31-16, 07:52 PM
I agree. That's what I'd do. We've shown Baldwin locks to a number of customers in the past where they've wanted a particular look and finish, but they run backwards when they get the price.

Old 08-01-16, 04:59 AM
Its a lock. Can be opened by anyone willing. Not worth the money. Thank you.