Cannot remove antique/vintage Schlage doorknob

Old 09-26-16, 06:45 AM
Cannot remove antique/vintage Schlage doorknob

Old Schlage mortise lock set maybe from 1930s-1940s. No screws, no tabs, no holes in collar of either big bronze knobs, collars, or trim. The only hole is in the round part of the doorknob itself. I've tried pulling, pushing, turning, and prying both the knob and collar gently, and prying the trim without luck but didn't want to force it too hard. If there are holes, I assume they must be there for a reason so I've tried rotating all the way slowly and poking with a very small screwdriver multiple times with no luck. I can't feel any sort of upraised latch or recessed space inside the knob that would seem to be a release. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-16, 08:17 AM
Hard to tell much with that close up.
If it's a real mortise set the knob should have a set screw that needs to be back out then the knob unscrews.

Old 09-26-16, 10:28 AM
Can't tell from the picture, but you may have a Schlage G series; interconnected knoblock/deadbolt. It was discontinued maybe 30 years ago. Knob/Cylinder outside and Thumbturn/Knob inside were both on a raised estucheon. It used separate latchbolt and deadbolt mounted on a common front. The common front will probably be around 4 7/8", where a mortise lock is much taller. "Locking the knob" disconnected the outside knob instead of locking it. Turning the inside knob would retract both the latchbolt and deadbolt.

It's easily 40 years since I touched one and they weren't common then, but here goes. There should be a knob retainer on the inside knob shank at either 3 or 9 o'clock (toward the edge of the door); remove the inside knob. Bottom center of the inside estucheon, there should be a release or detent; depress or pop it loose, swing the bottom of the estucheon plate out and remove the plate. A single screw at the top and bottom releases the inside and outside portions.

Today, many consider them a collector's item.

Old 09-26-16, 07:06 PM
From the single photo I agree with ThisOldMan; the thick escutcheon and flared throat looks like a "G" series, which used a trapezoid shaped outer escutcheon prior to 1971, and a rectangular shape after 1971. I don't think the G series goes back before the '60s tho, and was discontinued in the late '80's

At any rate, the "tulip" design inner knob allowed access to the retainer from behind, but the "ball" design (what you have) required a long poke tool in the hole on the side of the knob, visible in the photo. Use a large straightened-out paperclip or similar tool. It has to go deep into the knob to depress the retainer in the spindle. There might be a lot of grunge in the hole built up over the years so a drill bit could be used (GENTLY) to twist out caked-in dirt.