Door Security Advice

Old 11-15-16, 01:28 PM
Door Security Advice

Hello all.

It's my first time posting anything of significance so please go easy on me.

I'm moving into a room in a house that I rent with some rather awful double windowed doors in it. I plan on using Simplisafe for some entry alarms and whatnot, but wondered if anyone had advice on taking some simple steps to secure the doors, making them at least more of an effort than smashing in or removing the window panes. I don't plan on using them to exit or enter the house at any point.

The owner of the house is pretty amenable as far as simple stuff goes, so I do have some flexibility, but minimal changes are best.

Thank you for your time or any ideas in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-16, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
This is where some people will install a double cylinder deadbolt so the key needs to be inserted not only to get in but to get out. However, in an emergency, that's not a good scenario so it's generally not advised to do so (and actually not allowed in many locations). Is the landlord not willing to replace the doors with something more secure?

Old 11-15-16, 03:31 PM
Got a picture?
Keep in mind if someone really wants in, there coming in no matter what you do.
Secure the door and they still have all the windows they can come in.
Best bet get renters insurance.

Old 11-15-16, 09:14 PM
Based on your brief description and without a photo or 2, I can only address some generalities. Other than using longer strike plate screws for the deadbolt, (if you don't have deadbolts, that would be your first line of defense) there's nothing "simple" or "cheap" that will significantly improve the physical security of a french door. The use of double-cylinder deadbolts, though resulting in the best way to improve security without eliminating the windows is, as stickshift stated, not generally advised, though the degree of hazard is certainly not the same in all cases.

If you don't depend on these windows for natural light, you can cut a piece of plywood to cover the windows, or if you need the light, a piece of fairly thick Plexiglas can be installed, albeit at greater cost.

By "double windowed doors" I suppose you mean a single-leaf door with 2 separate windows, rather than a double-leaf door each with it's own window. Double doors in residential construction are notoriously insecure and require special treatment.

Some inexpensive surface slide bolts can be installed that would at least stop someone with an existing key from entering. And if the door is truly never going to be used to enter from outside, a "Lockout" key can be fashioned that, once inserted, cannot be removed, and thus, blocks the keyhole from any keys or lock picking attempts. (The lockout key can be removed by removing the lock from the door and disassembling it).

Assuming this is an in swinging door, you can still buy a "cane" lock I think; it's a pole with a yoke at one end that jams up under the doorknob and the other end fits into a receptacle in the floor.

Just some ideas.

Old 11-15-16, 09:55 PM
Apologies for the delay, I was posting from mobile and couldn't upload the picture for clarification.

I'm not looking to make something impenetrable; I'll have an alarm and renter's insurance, but I'd like a touch of peace of mind, even if it just delayed entry. I'd just as soon blockade the door altogether otherwise.Name:  door.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  31.8 KB

Old 11-16-16, 05:27 PM
Check out the Strikemaster II Pro French Door Kit.

Safe Homes International - French Door Reinforcement Kit

Old 11-16-16, 06:06 PM
No need to break the glass to get in that door.
One good kick in the middle and it's coming open.

Old 11-16-16, 08:13 PM
So it IS a double door with what I can barely see might be a double cylinder deadbolt. The weak link of double doors (residential) are the little flush extension bolts at top and bottom of inactive leaf. If you really don't need this door for emergency exit or light, and don't care about the aesthetics, I'd fasten a 1" square steel tube (or 1.5" aluminum) as a barricade bar across the center of doors, same width as the opening, using screws at the ends to go into the back rails, and long enough to penetrate 75% of the door thickness. Sex bolts can also be used. Then 4 pieces of plywood can be cut to go above and below the bar. (4 pieces easier to transport). Doesn't have to be very thick wood, as the appearance from outside can't tell the thickness.
With careful measurements, the plywood will fit snugly against the bar and around the glass so as to improve the weather insulating qualities of the door. And you can paint/stain the wood for better appearance.

Again, all this only if absolutely certain you have other nearby exits in case of fire etc.