Hinge Advice

Old 11-17-16, 08:23 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hinge Advice

I have an exterior solid wood door that is just shy of 1 3/8 inches wide. The original hinges are an odd size. 3 1/2 inches tall but one leaf is 1 1/2 inches wide and the other is 1 5/16 inches wide.

Is there any reason why I couldn't use the standard 3 1/2 inch butt hinge with 1 1/2 inch wide leaves when the one leaf is only 3/16 inch wider? If I use the original mortise space, the hinge would stick out further from the door by the 3/16 inch, but would it matter?

I can't use the original hinges because I lost one...stupid! Also, I have looked on line and so far can't find the odd sized hinge.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-17-16, 08:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
You will probably have to plug the holes and redrill them, doubt they will line up. You don't want to move the door in 1/4" farther than it was... so you will need to pay attention to where the center of the door should fall in relation to the jamb side mortise. It may mean plowing out the mortise completely through the entire width of the door.

Its really 3 1/2" tall? Peachtree used to use 4" hinges that were uneven. 3 1/2 x 4.

Old 11-18-16, 08:02 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If I use the original mortise space, the hinge would stick out further from the door by the 3/16 inch, but would it matter?
Can't quite visualize this, but the hinge pins in all the hinges need to be in line. You can't have two hinge pins 1/4 inch out from the door jamb and another 3/8 inch out. It won't matter if one hinge has 1 1/2 leaves and another has 1 3/4 leaves if the pins themselves are in a line.

Old 11-18-16, 06:11 PM
R
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
That's a very unusual size....I wonder if they've been modified for some reason. The question is, will a 3.5 X 3.5 line up the screw holes properly? Specifically, the distance from pin centerline to each hole, especially on the previously short side. If they do, you may need only to extend the mortise on the door, as XSleeper indicated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: