Dead Bolt catches strike plate

Old 12-01-16, 01:49 PM
Dead Bolt catches strike plate

I have a dead bolt on my front door and when locking it the bolt catches the ride side of the strike plate, making it hard to open and lock the door with the key. I tried check the hinges for any loose screws; tried filing a bit off the area of the strike plate where its rubbing using a hand file but no luck doing that. Not sure if you can buy a strike plate that is more narrow on the side than mine? Any tips on how to make this close and open smoothly, dead bolt works and the bolt itself has a very slight amount of play meaning you can hold it when out and it turns ever so slighty. Thanks for any info see images of lock.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-16, 02:07 PM
Group Moderator
I have to pull all of my doors shut a little bit as I lock and unlock them to account for the tight seal from the weatherstripping. Is yours binding more than would be solved by that?

Old 12-01-16, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did it used to lock smoothly? if so, the door or jamb has moved some. If it's always been a tight fit you might need to remove the strike plate, fill the screw holes and reinstall in a position that works better.

Old 12-01-16, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try removing one of the inboard hinge screws and replace it with a 3" screw on the middle hinge. It may pull the door at its midpoint enough to relieve the pressure on the lockset.

Old 12-01-16, 03:14 PM
It has worked in the past but not that you mention that I guess most things like doors etc settle and shift over time. Will try removing the plate and see if there is enough room to position it. Sealing around door is original and has been their for years, if I pull the door a little more when closing or push the door in when closed and try the dead bolt it still hits the strike plate side.

Old 12-01-16, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
If the deadbolt is hitting on the side of its strike plate, you probably need to relocate your latch strike plate a ltitle bit. If it latches 1/8" tighter it will probably hit the center of the hole. This will probably mean plugging the holes and drilling new ones. But some latch strike plates have a tab that you can bend to make slight adjustments. Or you can just get used to pulling the door tighter when you lock the door.

Old 12-02-16, 03:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry, I was thinking the door closed too tightly and it hit the plate. What the others have said about relocating the strike plate.

Old 12-02-16, 01:18 PM
So what I ended up trying today and it worked was to turn the dead bolt; put lipstick on the end and sides of it; closed and tried to lock the door as I normally would and after opening it noted where lipstick was showing on the strike plate. Used a small file with a handle on it and gently filed the areas, after a while the door started to lock with no sticking at all. Good to go. Thanks for the ideas and input.